Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Cross of St. George 4th class

Article about: I was just surfing one day and found this, thought it would fit in nicely with my ww1 shadow box. I found that they awarded over 1.7 million of these. They're made of silver, and of course p

Default Cross of St. George 4th class

I was just surfing one day and found this, thought it would fit in nicely with my ww1 shadow box. I found that they awarded over 1.7 million of these. They're made of silver, and of course production stopped in 1917, but the spirit of the medal continued with the communists as The Order of Glory. Is it even possible to research these? I'm just thinking that all the imperial records would have been destroyed.

This one is so called Soldier's St.George Cross 4th class for the low rank servicemen.
    1,2 million of 4th class were awarded. As to this number, for comparison, #352 873 was awarded 16/09/1915
    To my knowledge some records are with the Russian Military Historical archive.

Thank you, it would be worth looking into then

Hello,
    I can research George Crosses and the one with this serial number probably also will be researchable but it will not be free of charge...
    By the way, it seems to me that this piece on the pictures is not original one...

?

The ribbon plate is 100% not original but taken from Soviet medals.
    So the cross itself is most probably fake as well..

Thank you Bruno, I shouldn't have stopped at the first site I found when I was looking this up. I did more searching today and can't seem to find any 2 pictures that look the same for these. At least it wasn't an expensive lesson.

Ive seen original crosses with replaced soviet suspenders as most original Tsarist Ribbons and suspenders are lost for some reason. this does not condemn the cross as a fake though the lack of finishing around the silver ring at the top of cross seems crude....

duffhessian1776
    ?

Hello all,

I just found this forum and registered a few moments ago. I realize this is an older post, please forgive. I hope someone will read it an possibly offer some direction.
    I have recently come across an estate St George 4th Class medal with no suspension ribbon.
    How can I tell it it is authentic?
    I intend to use it as a fob for an Imperial pocket watch. I am simply curious if it is a repro or not.
    I would post a photo if I knew how to do so.

Thank you in advance for any and all information,
    david.