Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

grandfather in uniform

Article about: This is a pic of my grandfather, can anyone help identify his rank, possibly unit, and if he was in the cavalry which family lore says he was. this is circa 1910, and I think he was from the

NAVDAWG73
    ?

Default grandfather in uniform

grandfather in uniform This is a pic of my grandfather, can anyone help identify his rank, possibly unit, and if he was in the cavalry which family lore says he was. this is circa 1910, and I think he was from the Ukraine. Thank you in advance

?

Default Re: grandfather in uniform

Hi,

I think this image is older than 1910, the uniform is not like a Russian one of the period. There are also elements of the uniform that do not belong. The hat is a type worn by court officials on ceremonial duties. The augulette would be worn by staff officers from the right shoulder attached to the centre of the chest, not around the chest from each epaulette. The epaulettes do not look right either and the item clasped in his left hand looks like a very bad imitation of a sword.
    There was a fashion in the late 19th century for men to have their photographs taken in uniform. The photographer would dress the uniform up to make the image more impressive. Often the items used did not conform to the uniform regulations. This is of course only my opinion based on this image.

Regards.

IainM

I would venture a guess that this a photo of a theater actor for performance promotion. Bunch of random uniform parts thrown together.

?

That is a very good idea, it would certainly explain the mix of different elements.

Also, notice he's got a crude PLYWOOD sword hahahaha.

I think "granpa's story" is wearing thin

it's an actor, 100% Or an older gentlemen playing dressup with theater props for some other reason.

?

Hi,

Just a further addition to this post. I came across an auction item that looked familiar.

Indian Wars frock coat & archive of Colonel John W. Meldrum, with Model 1885 aiguillette & Model 1872 officer's sword belt with plate & saber hanger