Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identify officer's uniform from photo - abt 1890

Article about: Hello everyone! This is my first post and I'm researching my family history. My great great grandfather's name was Stefan Annenkov (photo attached) and he was apparently a captain in the Imp

Annat
    ?

Default Identify officer's uniform from photo - abt 1890

Hello everyone!
    This is my first post and I'm researching my family history. My great great grandfather's name was Stefan Annenkov (photo attached) and he was apparently a captain in the Imperial Army. We know very little about him because his son (my great grandfather) was orphaned at 3 years old (both parents died). All we know is that he went to Corps des Pages in St. Petersburg and his father's name was probably Nikolai. From the photo, it looks to me like the neck medal is Order of St. Stanislaus and the left chest medal is Order of St. Anne. Is there anything else that you can tell about him based on his uniform? I also don't really understand the significance of these medals. If anyone has suggestions on where else I could possible research his history, that would be great.

Thank you!
    Anna
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identify officer's uniform from photo - abt 1890  

?

I am at work, without my reference books, but I would say that this uniform is circa 1890-1900, and likely for a Guards infantry regiment, given the officer's previous service in the Corps des Pages.
    Alexander III changed army uniforms to a more "Russian" appearance, such as this one, but Nicholas II changed them back to a more European style, around 1907, I believe.

BobS

Annat
    ?

Thank you, BobS. That sounds right because he would have died by about 1897. I found several other photos of military officers (mostly generals) that look like the same photographic studio was used since they all had the same cut of uniform, same fading out of the bottom of the photo and same kind of mustache. None of the other photos were dated.

Do you happen to know if the epaulette (shoulder pads) mean anything that there are no tassels hanging down? Also, wondering if it means something that the 3 medals hang in the middle of the uniform, and if the St. Stanislaus medal at the neck might be more important than the St. Anne medal directly below, based on the placement of them. And, if the ribbons themselves have any meaning.

?

Quote by Annat View Post
    Thank you, BobS. That sounds right because he would have died by about 1897. I found several other photos of military officers (mostly generals) that look like the same photographic studio was used since they all had the same cut of uniform, same fading out of the bottom of the photo and same kind of mustache. None of the other photos were dated.

Do you happen to know if the epaulette (shoulder pads) mean anything that there are no tassels hanging down? Also, wondering if it means something that the 3 medals hang in the middle of the uniform, and if the St. Stanislaus medal at the neck might be more important than the St. Anne medal directly below, based on the placement of them. And, if the ribbons themselves have any meaning.
    Regarding the epaulettes, I believe that officers of field rank, majors and above , wore the hanging tassles, while company grade officers wore those shown in the photo.
    Sorry, I'm of no help on the medals or ribbons.

BobS

The neck medal is Order of St. Stanislaus, second grade
    The left chest medal is Order of St. Anne, third grade.
    The Order of St. Stanislaus is a lowest order decoration with the Order of St. Anne coming next upwards.
    The medal in the middle seems to have St.George's black/gold stripes on the ribbon and therefore is likely to be the one for any of the many military campaigns.
    This sites mentions several people whose second name is ANNENKOV in the list of the alumni of Corps des Pages in St. Petersburg. One of them is STEPAN ANNENKOV. However his graduation year (1826) does not fit much to your data.

404 Not Found