Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Identifying My Great Grandfathers Uniform?

Article about: Can someone please help me with my Great Grandfather's uniform? This is what I know..... Name: Jozaf Kaczmarczyk, Picture taken around 1900's. Occupation: Surgeon Lived in Lodz, Poland. Coul

Default Identifying My Great Grandfathers Uniform?

Can someone please help me with my Great Grandfather's uniform?

This is what I know.....
    Name: Jozaf Kaczmarczyk, Picture taken around 1900's.
    Lived in Lodz, Poland. Could have moved there sometime after this picture was taken.

Shoulder has the number 57 and I think he is wearing a Badge for "Excellent Shooting"

As some may notice the name is Polish, but... I can only find Russian uniforms with a Badge for "Excellent Shooting"

Can I find somewhere about his war record?, if it is a war uniform.

Thankyou for whoever can help me...

Greetings from Australia
    Kind Regards
    Adam Kaczmarczyk
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying My Great Grandfathers Uniform?   Identifying My Great Grandfathers Uniform?  

Attached Images Attached Images Identifying My Great Grandfathers Uniform? 
    Last edited by crom8971; 04-06-2014 at 01:58 AM.

?

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing these interesting pictures.

In the modern period, Poland did not exist as an independent state until 1918, being part of the Russian Empire. I can see that he has an Imperial Russian double headed eagle on his hat - I imagine that some of the experts on this forum will tell you lots more.

Regards,

Philip

Thankyou Phillip, I appreciate the information you have provided....
    Regards
    Adam

Could you please post:

1. Stamps, inscriptions etc. on the photo - if any
    2. Shoulder boards image with high resolution

as said Russian.

It's not a question of whether Russian or German or Turkish - I did see it Russian at first glance. What I'm trying to do is to define the particular unit he served with and shoulder boards details would help.

For now - dated pre 1907, Excellent Shooter second class badge. 57 could be a number of either regiment or battalion. Again, shoulder boards image is needed.

Hi Mehti

Thanks for your interest, i've attached another photo, but i'm not sure it's close enough.

Regards
    Adam

Hi, Adam
    Your Great Grandfather wears a uniform of infantry non-officers staff of the Russian imperial army. This particular pattern has been in wear in 1881-1907 - no buttons (other than shoulders), double breasted tunic hooks up with five hooks, one pocket on each side (cartridge 'case'), plain belt buckle, black lambswool hat with the Russian imperial emblem. The uniform is deep green, white collar, red shoulder boards with yellow legend (57 regiment). His rank is private.

The only unit of that time in RIA with 57 number was 57th Modlin Infantry Regiment and it served in Russian-Japanese war 1904-1905.

Note the chained pocket-watch on the right side of the tunic and most likely it was a reward attached to his badge for the excellent shooting.

Attached is a photo of that very regiment servicemen sometime later on (no lambswool hats) with the legend on their caps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying My Great Grandfathers Uniform?  

Hi Mehti
    WOW! That is so interesting, Thankyou for your help on finding information about my Great Grandfather.
    Kind Regards
    Adam

You welcome, Adam

Your Great Grandfather's photograph was taken in studio. Normally they provided photos on the passepartout with the stamps on it, like the one I'm attaching. How does yours look like?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying My Great Grandfathers Uniform?  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast