Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My grandfather's compass

Article about: There is wrote Compass Captain Adrianov's Model 1911 Improoved By Rifle's Officers School 1 segmentation is 3 degrees or 5 segmentations of protractor

Default Re: My grandfather's compass

There is wrote

Compass
    Captain Adrianov's
    Model 1911
    Improoved
    By Rifle's Officers School
    1 segmentation is 3 degrees
    or
    5 segmentations of protractor

It's a very nice compass.

Be careful about having it restored....if you do, get a recommendation re. restorer from a good museum. There are "restorers" out there who will ruin your item through ignorance of the original, or just over-enthusiasm.

Better leave it "as is" rather than over-restore to "as new" condition. Restoration will diminish the value.

The paint chips may be "glow in the dark" chips off the dial. They often come adrift.

Good luck with it,

Pat

Quote by Patgore View Post
    It's a very nice compass.

Be careful about having it restored....if you do, get a recommendation re. restorer from a good museum. There are "restorers" out there who will ruin your item through ignorance of the original, or just over-enthusiasm.

Better leave it "as is" rather than over-restore to "as new" condition. Restoration will diminish the value.

The paint chips may be "glow in the dark" chips off the dial. They often come adrift.

Good luck with it,

Pat
    Thanks for the kind words and advice!

In terms of restoration, I am not looking to bring this piece back to brand new condition... I was just thinking about cleaning off the glass so you can clearly see the needle and markings inside the piece. As of right now, I've 99% decided to keep it as-is.

Try here or some of the links. It may tell you something about restoration of a compass.
    Compass Museum - HOME

Rudy
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2