Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Old Russian Photos Found

Article about: Hello, I found these photos of my great grandfather, Boleslaw. He was born in 1884 (In "Trotzko, Russia" although I could not find this on the map of the time period) and immigrate

Default Re: Old Russian Photos Found

I am sure other learned members of the forum know more, but my suggestion is a RIA Guards, Rifles or Infantry uniform (top/left photo). The low fur hat insignia seems to include separate badges: double-headed eagle, or possibly a multi-rayed star; perhaps a small Romanov cockade; but clearly a scroll/arc with a commemorative inscription/battle honour. This well-known category of insignia should ring a bell, but without photo details, I believe it's no easy task to identify the individual regiment. Perhaps the "Litzen" on his collar lead in a certain direction? Guards?

MIKE

Quote by cmrozewski View Post
    Great Thanks! I was wondering if anyone could tell me about that cap emblem on the left (top) photo? I have seen similar ones but cannot not figure out what it is exactly.
    I found an image of the same object here: Cap Emblem

I can't decide if it is the double headed eagle or this star that I have also seen in association: star (I know that link is not exactly related, but that is the star)

Svedskij could you direct me to more info about the Separate Corps of Frontier Guards? Anything would be great

Also, I am sure his name is Bolek (Boleslaw) and the town is Trotzki (but, looking at another map from the time period, this might be "Troki" possibly?)
    Re the left image: it's pre 1907. Metallic arc on the badge top was called 'ribbon of merit' awarded to the unit for an outstanding service in any particular war/battle. He is in a rank of private. High resolution of the badge is needed to define whether artillery or infantry. Then we could guess which particular unit he was with based on the fact that it was stationed in St.Petersburg (photo stamp).

Most likely, the native town of your Great Granfather was TROKI which is pre 1940 Polish version of nowdays TRAKAY in Lithuania.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2