Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Please help me identify my 2nd great-grandfather's rank!

Article about: Hello, This is my 2nd great-grandfather, an enlisted member of the Russian Army from the Kiev military district. This is a professional photo, still in fantastic condition, with the badges s

bgreen
    ?

Default Imperial Russian Uniform-- My 2nd great-grandfather

Please help me identify my 2nd great-grandfather's rank!

Hello,

This is my 2nd great-grandfather, an enlisted member of the Russian Army from the Kiev military district. This is a professional photo, still in fantastic condition, with the badges showing Nicholas II on them quite clearly. Certainly taken between 1910 and 1918.
    I know for certain he reached the rank of Colonol before he was shot in a Bolshevik Firing squad in 1918...can anyone identify his rank in this image?

Thank you very much!!
    Last edited by bgreen; 12-09-2012 at 06:21 AM.

bgreen
    ?

Default Re: Please help me identify my 2nd great-grandfather's rank!

Also, if anyone can identify the medals or any other items...that would be much appreciated as well.
    Thank you so much!

Unfortunatelly it is not that clear from the picture, a better scan is required. My guess is that he is in the rank of Captain (Ротмистр) Imperial Russian Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wearing a medal for bravery around his neck. Георгиевская медаль — Википедия

You might also look up more info on the 77th regiment (Kiev) or other unit, note the numbers on the shoulder straps. 77 infantry regiment was located in Tiflis... Тенгинский 77-й пехотный полк — Википедия

?

I see clearly that solid gentleman in the pictuer is called into service reserve officer in lowest officer rank - ensign (that rank was for reserve officers only) - one small ensign star is quite a well visible in the middle of shoulder board.

Also, all the medals he is wearing are for civilian (not military) service.

So - the colonel´s rank mentioned here seems to be a just a family legend only
    Last edited by Bruno; 04-08-2013 at 08:37 AM.

?

His cap cockade (round as opposed to oval) and shoulder straps (special braid) indicate he is a military official (administrative personnel). I can't quite make out the letters on his boards, but I do think they are letters, rather than numbers.

CCMJR