Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Russian army officer's (?) shoulder strap monogram (1914)

Article about: I would be very grateful for your advice as regards identification of the unit (regiment) that the soldier wearing this monogram would belong to. Monogram worn on the shoulder strap together

Default Russian army officer's (?) shoulder strap monogram (1914)

I would be very grateful for your advice as regards identification of the unit (regiment) that the soldier wearing this monogram would belong to. Monogram worn on the shoulder strap together with royal crown. Unfortunately, it is the only element of the shoulder strap preserved until today. Found many years ago at home of my grandparents near Lodz (centre of Poland), where well known Battle of Lodz took place in November-December 1914 (area of operation of e.g. 6. Siberian Division).
    I would be very grateful for any ideas.
    The other emblem visible here (so called "otlichie") was found in the same place, however no reasonable justification relate to this - it was worn by soldier of the 1. Siberian Rifle Regiment and I have not found any evidence that the unit operated in this area in 1914.Russian army officer's (?) shoulder strap monogram (1914)Russian army officer's (?) shoulder strap monogram (1914)

The officers of five units below would wear this particular monogram of tsar Nicolas the Second

13th Erivan Grenadiers Regiment
    65th Moscow Infantry Regiment
    84th Shirvan Infantry Regiment
    1st East Siberian Rifle Regiment
    17th Dragoon Nizhniynovgorod Regiment

We've found out that the 13th Erivan Grenadiers Regiment took part in the battle of Lodz forest in november 1914.

No evidences found regarding the egagement of the rest of the units in that battle.

The merit ribbon "For Old Nyu-Chzhuan" was awarded for the action near that town in China where Russian forces fought Boxer's uprising.

1st East Siberian Rifle Regiment was the only one unit to receive this ribbon.

We could only guess that someone who fought in China in 1900 would keep his ribbon as a personal relic untill the time he fought in Lodz in 1914 with the other unit.

Great news, Mehti. Thank you very much! And two more questions:
    - is the 1st East Siberian Rifle Regiment the same as 1. Siberian Rifle Regiment?
    - I know that one unit from the 1. Siberian Rifle Regiment was separated to create 33. Siberian Rifle Regiment on December 5, 1903. Maybe 33. Siberian Rifle Regiment fought in the Lodz area at this time? Unfortunately, I could not find any evidence...

Hi, Tomasz

Re your questions:

1. After browsing many references I've found out that the same regiments were named ''East Siberian" prior to 1910 and simply "Siberian'' after that year. So these two seem to be the same.

2. Indeed one company from the 1st SRR was allocated to form 33th SRR in 1903.

I've found no direct online references on either 1st or 33th SRRs engagement in the battle of Lodz.

However there is one indirect evidence which I think is worth to consider in the context of your research.

Here are the memoirs of the Russian officer who fought in the battle of Lodz.

??????? ????? ? ??????? ?????: ?????????? ???????? ? ?????? 1914 ?. ?.1

He mentions 1st Siberian Rifle Division to battle Germans in November 1914 around Rzgow-Pabjanice, near Lodz.

Believe it is most likely that the 1st Siberian Rifle Regiment being a part of the 1st Siberian Rifle Division also was engaged in the Lodz area.