Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Russian sword?

Article about: Is this some russian police sword?Can you tell me something about the sword?

?

Default Russian sword?

Is this some russian police sword?Can you tell me something about the sword?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian sword?  

Default Re: Russian sword?

Could be, but rather hard to tell like thise.
    Most European country's have used thise kind of short swords.
    Only marks on the sword could reveal where it was original used or made.
    Not all are always clearly marked.
    Try to find out if it bears any marks and ask for detailed pictures.
    Good luck!
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Is a classical briquet, may be many countries; french, spanish, etc
    Looks more longer than usual
    Beware! A lot of these swords are fakes.

Cheers

Ed

?

handle of the sword is a stamp 13
    No other stamps!Can the country to find out without more stamps???

?

Could it be a naval sword?

?

Quote by TrondK View Post
    Could it be a naval sword?
    Perhaps.The seller said that it is a Russian police sword.Handle is a nickel-plated reference to the police???Finland was part of Russian Empire 1809-1917 so I think that it is a Russian,but everything is possible...

Quote by Markus View Post
    Perhaps.The seller said that it is a Russian police sword.Handle is a nickel-plated reference to the police???Finland was part of Russian Empire 1809-1917 so I think that it is a Russian,but everything is possible...
    That I think is a good clue to the time period. While it was invented earlier, nickel plating on German swords was not really seen until the 20th century. And they were fairly well advanced as compared to some other nations, being suppliers for example of some private purchase officer's swords to the Russians. It's also IMO not naval as they had wider cutlass type blades usually with handguards.

Russian swords aside, the only Finnish marked sword that I have ever seen was an earlier French cavalry sword. That had been cut down something like the way the German's modified captured French swords to make the M 1873 Uhlan saber.

If I had to make a guess it would be Spanish, remembering some longer, thinner bladed short swords from quite a while back, so that is just my sense of it. FP

Just found my copy of an Eickhorn catalogue from the early twentieth century.

An identical looking sword is shown and described as a Polizeisabel. Scabbard is different in that it has rings rather than the frog stud on the model illustrated in the original post.

This frog stud has a Germanic look to me - similar to that seen on the Saxon Police Seitengewehr from 1920 and the old type Officer sword (Stichdegen)

It does sort of look like some of the Polizeisäbel that were exported to places like South America and possibly some other places. Speaking generally: Sellers can (and many do) say anything that they want to in an effort to try and increase the desirability of what they are selling in the search for customers. So it may be true, or it could just be an imaginary connection to the Russian police? Who knows?? So at this point in time for myself I would be asking him for some verifiable references to back up his claim. Because IMO it is better to be safe than sorry. FP