Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Seeking opinions on great-grandfather Serafinski’s uniform

Article about: Hello! I’m looking for opinions about the uniform of my great-grandfather Antoni Serafinski in the photo below. I believe he was born in Poland and served in the Russian Imperial Army. He ar

Default Seeking opinions on great-grandfather Serafinski’s uniform

Hello! I’m looking for opinions about the uniform of my great-grandfather Antoni Serafinski in the photo below. I believe he was born in Poland and served in the Russian Imperial Army. He arrived in NY in April 1907 at the age of 30, so the uniform would pre-date that time. I was told the original photograph was badly damaged and was reconstructed later by drawing in the details. I was also told that he’d received some kind of commendation from the Tsar, and that he may have been a doctor. The person who told me these details would have heard them at least second-hand, maybe even third-hand, so I don’t know how reliable they may be. Any thoughts on what section/rank/etc. he may have been part of, or other related information, would be most appreciated. Thanks very much!

Seeking opinions on great-grandfather Serafinski’s uniform

Your Great Grandfather served with the Russian Special Gendarmery Corps - an armed forces subordinated to the Ministry of Interior
    (see the images attached).

This uniform pattern was introduced in 1897.

Note a silver cord which is fixed to the holster (not seen) and the aiguillette on his right shoulder. The plum is made of horsehair. The sabre is a 1881 dragoon pattern. Spures were a must (not seen here).

Can't define his rank based on this image.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Seeking opinions on great-grandfather Serafinski’s uniform   Seeking opinions on great-grandfather Serafinski’s uniform  

Thank you very very much!

I forgot to ask: I wonder if you have a reference for the bottom (b/w) photo you posted above? It’s a great photograph, and if there’s any further information about it, I’d love to know. Thanks!

Oh well. Worth asking, anyway. Thanks again!

All best,

Sharon

Hello Mehti,

In the above post from you (08-08-2014, 12:21 AM), for some reason, all I see on my computer is a string of question marks, and at first I was thinking that’s what you sent as a response, to mean the reference was unknown -- but now I wonder if I need another character display (like Cyrillic) installed on my computer? Did you post question marks, or another type of character, and if so, can you repost in translation? Thanks!

All best,

Sharon

Sorry, I didn't realize that was a link. So embarrassed! Many thanks.