MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Asbestos question

Article about: As someone who works in aviation, I can tell you asbestos is relatively good for you.

Default Asbestos question

Hi mates.I need your knowlegde about the asbestos in the old gas mask's filters.I have a VM40 volksgasmaske and a M33 Italian ,filter made in 1934.I know that it is dangerous to breath in through these filters.Is it dangerous too, if i want to touch the filter or the mask?Many thanks

Default Re: Asbestos question

I doubt it. Asbestos usually isn't a problem until you start knocking it around and it becomes airborne. There was a similar thread some time ago which gave advice on how museums seal the filters to keep the asbestos from coming loose. Something about submerging them in a solution that solidifies. I can't remember exactly. I have two masks and they just sit in my display case. I haven't done anything to them. If I keel over from lunch cancer someday, might wanna check into why lol

This topic has been covered many times in the past, as you have correctly said it is dangerous to breath through them due to the contents of the filters which break down and degrade over time. Its not just asbestos in filters that can be harmful if inhaled. I wouldn't say that touching the mask or filter is dangerous, as long as you practice good hygiene and keep the items in question clean you should be fine

Thanks

Danny

Quote by helmetone View Post
    There was a similar thread some time ago which gave advice on how museums seal the filters to keep the asbestos from coming loose.
    If I remember correctly Ade posted something about the Imperial War Museum using PVA glue mixed with water to seal the filters permanently to prevent anything inside escaping, the mixture was poured carefully into the filters openings.

Thanks

Danny

Quote by helmetone View Post
    If I keel over from lunch cancer someday, might wanna check into why lol
    Lunch cancer?! I regularly have lunch, hell I had lunch only today! I'm doomed!!

Thanks a lot guys ,so i had done well when i sealed the filters with paper aluminium for the VM40 and with the tap for the M33 filter

I work in a building that was built in the late 30s and there are still floor tiles made from asbestos, but we keep them waxed quite heavily to keep anything that could become airborne contained. A good industrial type glue sounds like a plan, something that can be poured in, but won't break down easily with age.

Is it enough to keep the two filter's ''holes'' taped with cotton wool and put the masks and filters in drawer?

Thanks in advance

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Lunch cancer?! I regularly have lunch, hell I had lunch only today! I'm doomed!!
    That's right, lunch cancer! We're all screwed!

God darn IPhone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast