MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Garda de Fier (Iron Guard) insignia

Article about: Here's something you don't see every day. There are barely any pictures about this badge on the internet so I figured I should post some in detail. Also information is very scarce. If anyone

The badge sold on eBay is showing considerable differences from this one posted. The sword grips,hilts and ricasso show very sharp detailing and soldering to the cross and the gold central figure is much clearer and quality made. Look at the central gold sword grip,hilt and blade tip and compare. The hardware, again, is markedly different-compare the clasp hooks and the hinges. As for the crude eagle and swastika stamps on the back of this piece, I can still see no reason or purpose for them. No silver content, as required by German law is marked on this one either, but the cased badge on eBay clearly is silver content marked, and marked for .900 Silver rather than the modern day Sterling standard of .925 and is also obviously Maker marked. Sterling Silver or .925 was Very seldom-if ever much used in Europe and in Germany with less than 5 months to exist? This is, rather than being of reassurance, more of a red flag than good. Even being made in Germany, it would still not explain the little eagles and swastika stamps. This was not some kind of "Made in Germany" mark.

I don't imagine this is what you wanted to hear or will agree with, but as is well known, Iron Guard pieces are Very rare and the price for the one sold on eBay reflects this. I've put over 5 decades into this hobby and the number of genuine Iron Guard insignia that I have seen or owned could be counted in less than a handful. Unfortunately, as said, they Are rare and bringing considerably good prices now and because of this, fake badges are trickling onto the market.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

CTN
    ?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    The badge sold on eBay is showing considerable differences from this one posted. The sword grips,hilts and ricasso show very sharp detailing and soldering to the cross and the gold central figure is much clearer and quality made. Look at the central gold sword grip,hilt and blade tip and compare. The hardware, again, is markedly different-compare the clasp hooks and the hinges. As for the crude eagle and swastika stamps on the back of this piece, I can still see no reason or purpose for them. No silver content, as required by German law is marked on this one either, but the cased badge on eBay clearly is silver content marked, and marked for .900 Silver rather than the modern day Sterling standard of .925 and is also obviously Maker marked. Sterling Silver or .925 was Very seldom-if ever much used in Europe and in Germany with less than 5 months to exist? This is, rather than being of reassurance, more of a red flag than good. Even being made in Germany, it would still not explain the little eagles and swastika stamps. This was not some kind of "Made in Germany" mark.

I don't imagine this is what you wanted to hear or will agree with, but as is well known, Iron Guard pieces are Very rare and the price for the one sold on eBay reflects this. I've put over 5 decades into this hobby and the number of genuine Iron Guard insignia that I have seen or owned could be counted in less than a handful. Unfortunately, as said, they Are rare and bringing considerably good prices now and because of this, fake badges are trickling onto the market.
    I can't disagree with you since I started with almost no information about this item and I'm still not far from that. For some reason I can't see the full scale ebay pictures but only the thumbnails so I couldn't really compare the two crosses. Anyway, I'm still trying to find out more about this badge and, if I do, I'll post what I find out here.

What kind of maker mark does it have? Maybe we can go from there.

The maker mark is either a "9" or an upside down "6" and is to the right of the ".900" silver mark on the outside of the pin. About the only way that you can see the photos are the thumbnails, as the sale on eBay was from July 7,2013, so eBay has removed the ability to enlarge them. Annoying, but possible with enough squinting!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Interesting badge.

I knew about the Iron Guard in broad strokes and some of the persons onvolved, but just read up on Codreanu - that in itself made for an interesting read......to say the least.

Sir, would you sell this badge?

CTN
    ?

I'm sorry but this badge is no longer in my collection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2