Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this a genuine WW2 Italian M33?

Article about: I recently saw this on an auction site, before committing to any sort of purchase I would like to know if this is a genuine WW2 M33? It seems to have the correct liner, rectangular hooks &am

?

Default Is this a genuine WW2 Italian M33?

I recently saw this on an auction site, before committing to any sort of purchase I would like to know if this is a genuine WW2 M33? It seems to have the correct liner, rectangular hooks & chinstrap; but I really don't know enough on Italian militaria to be sure.

If someone could help that would be great!
    Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a genuine WW2 Italian M33?   Is this a genuine WW2 Italian M33?  

Here is a good link to compare your lid to some fine WWII Italian M33's. Take a look and see what you think!
    Italian helmets of WW2
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Honestly, by the comparison of the great photo's you linked - this seems to be a genuine WW2 M33. Would the shell be a repaint though? or is that simply a WW2 italian colour scheme - to me it almost looks like underneath there is a darker more green paint.

I know that when you see an Olive green, then it has been repainted post war, but it's difficult to judge from the photos just what the true color of This one was. It's obviously undergone repainting several times in it's lifetime. The interior does look to be Olive in color,though. The problem with the Italian helmet is that the M33 remained the standard Italian army helmet through the end of the 1980s. It's the small details you need to look for, such as the liner being stitched together horizontally on the seam. It's impossible now to know if the helmet had any painted insignia on the front.

This helmet is not in the most desirable of condition. The liner looks to be rotting and there Is a crack in the shell itself-a problem that I've noticed before in other M33's. And, of course, several Other countries also used the same Model 33 helmets. Here is an interesting link to read abit more about them. https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/...post-wwii-use/
    William

?

I read that leather chin straps & rectangular hooks such as in the photos were only present in pre-war and wartime production M33's - is there anything specific to look for on the liner or anything to note it as Italian made or wartime use? It does have the 'hole punch' number in the liner if that means anything.

I'd say that the horizontal stitching at the seam was the most important bit to look for. Immediately after the war, the stitching changed.
    William

?

By the seam, where exactly on the liner do you mean? I can ask for a photograph of that area if I know where to ask

The seam should be in the back of the helmet where the 2 ends of the liner are brought around to meet and be joined together. It looks like this one has separated but the stitching holes should still be visible. If you look at the 7th photo in Post #1 of the link I gave you, you'll see what I mean. The seam is sewn together but also has stitches going across it horizontally so it looks almost like a staple. Italian helmets of WW2
    William

MAP
    ?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I know that when you see an Olive green, then it has been repainted post war, but it's difficult to judge from the photos just what the true color of This one was. It's obviously undergone repainting several times in it's lifetime. The interior does look to be Olive in color,though. The problem with the Italian helmet is that the M33 remained the standard Italian army helmet through the end of the 1980s. It's the small details you need to look for, such as the liner being stitched together horizontally on the seam. It's impossible now to know if the helmet had any painted insignia on the front.

This helmet is not in the most desirable of condition. The liner looks to be rotting and there Is a crack in the shell itself-a problem that I've noticed before in other M33's. And, of course, several Other countries also used the same Model 33 helmets. Here is an interesting link to read abit more about them. https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/...post-wwii-use/
    Nice link William.

FinMC, as for me, these helmets are one of the most difficult to establish if it is a true un touched WW2 lid. Even the Italian army used them until the 1980's. Very few good reference materials in English. Plus, myself personally, always struggle with the paint color especially from photos as they are easily distorted.

I think the liner, shell and strap are WW2 but the paint does not appear to be for me. Maybe OldSteel, or Ziomanno. They know their M33's.

Here is another link. Put it in Google Translate and it will convert the whole page to English.

.: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 933 :.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Well the seller posted this photograph - I take it that is the horizontal stitching you mentioned?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a genuine WW2 Italian M33?  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast