Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Gorillas Side Cap Spanish Civil War

Article about: Hi Guys. I'm new to the forum.Would really appreciate any info. about the Gorillos Side Cap from the Spanish Ci. I think it Nationalist XV or XV1 International Battalion/Brigade. Possibly fr

Unhappy Gorillas Side Cap Spanish Civil War

Hi Guys. I'm new to the forum.Would really appreciate any info. about the Gorillos Side Cap from the Spanish Ci. I think it Nationalist XV or XV1 International Battalion/Brigade. Possibly from the No 2 machine gun company??
    Additional info. and/or confirmation of what I suspect would be greatly

/Users/Roy/Desktop/IMG_5578.jpg

/Users/Roy/Desktop/IMG_5584.jpg

/Users/Roy/Desktop/IMG_5587.jpg

/Users/Roy/Desktop/IMG_5589.jpg

/Users/Roy/Desktop/IMG_5591.jpg

Sorry trying to upload images.

Interesting cap, I have a similar example but finding info on them seems hard.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 10-02-2016 at 08:33 AM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Following some research -which perhaps you already knew- it is possibly from one of the Italian blackshirt Fascist units that Mussolini sent to Spain to aid Franco and who fought alongside the German Condor Legion.
    The 16th battalion of the 15th International Brigade was the British Battalion, but as the cap has the black tassel of the blackshirt fascist Aviazione Legionaria or the Corpo Truppe Volontarie which the Italian version of the Condor Legion, then I doubt it is from the British battalion, though it might have been brought back by a member of it.
    Trying to find information on the uniforms and insignia of the Italian Fascist units that fought in Spain is quite difficult for me, though more time spent researching will hopefully add more info.

FOLLOWING FURTHER RESEARCH AND HELP FROM KRIS THESE CAPS ARE BELGIAN AND DATE SOME TIME FROM 1915 TO 1940, PROBABLY INTERWARS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviazione_Legionaria

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpo_Truppe_Volontarie

Spanish Service Dress Tunic to an Italian Air Force Legionnaire
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gorillas Side Cap Spanish Civil War   Gorillas Side Cap Spanish Civil War  

Gorillas Side Cap Spanish Civil War   Gorillas Side Cap Spanish Civil War  

Gorillas Side Cap Spanish Civil War  
    Last edited by Jerry B; 10-04-2016 at 09:02 AM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Many thanks Jerry B. Any info is welcome. And the 2 on the side would represent ???

Quote by Scobieman View Post
    Many thanks Jerry B. Any info is welcome. And the 2 on the side would represent ???
    Following my post, I am still trying to make sense of these caps and found some contradictory information, -seems to be the norm for these caps- that a similar example was posted on another forum where it was said uncertainly to be Spanish or Dutch so I tried searching the dutch angle and found a very similar cap with no tassel being sold as early 1930's Nederland Army;

Netherlands Army Side Cap Van Heutz Regiment - Headwear - Collector's Source, Military Collectibles Online

A new side cap was introduced in 1937 which looks nothing like our caps, and also from some sources that is said to replace the Dutch Kepi not a side cap.

The bottom line is as yet I am still trying to make sense of these caps and I will update this thread as and if I find out anymore information.
    Regards,

Jerry

To me the caps showed here, look like Belgian army caps.
    Last one being a officer.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Well done Kris,you appear to have the answer.

Interesting that these Belgian caps were used by the US in WWI including the use of metal insignia and numerals for the different regiments.

A.E. F.

Just need to find another site giving details on the variations between the types and dating etc...
    Regards,

Jerry

Perhaps a Mod could move this thread to the western allies cloth headgear section, thanks.
    Regards,

Jerry