Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Hungarian Soldier WWII Trench Art Questions

Article about: Hi, I joined today because i had some questions about two pieces that I have and wanted to know if they are desired pieces for collectors. The first piece id like to ask about is this Csajka

joydivision
    ?

Post Hungarian Soldier WWII Trench Art Questions

Hi,

I joined today because i had some questions about two pieces that I have and wanted to know if they are desired pieces for collectors.

The first piece id like to ask about is this Csajka (mess kit). It was made by my grandfather who served with the Hungarian military during the 2nd world war. He also was detained for numerous years post war by the U.S.S.R. where he contracted tuberculosis. When released, he returned to Hungary and was a blacksmith I believe. My knowledge about him unfortunately is just that, I never met him as my father was a military intelligence officer who defected from Hungary in the late 60's. So the first time I had seen these items was in 1993 when my dad was able to return to Hungary and took me with him. I brought the items back from Hungary after my grandmother passed in 2005.

Only photo I have of him in military uniform

I was told that he had made (decorated) 3 mess tins the one pictured, and 2 more for friends or fellow soldiers. I haven't been able to find much about the Csajka or knife through my searches.

The Csajka has no makers mark or country marks and he didn't inscribe it.

its hard to pull apart because its air tight

The second item is a knife, it looks to have a handle made from different plastics (possibly Bakelite) no marks again.

So my reason for inquiring about the items is that I i wish to possibly know more history or see other pieces and also the value of them if any (I do not have any children to pass these items on to and feel that a collector or museum may preserve this history better than I)

So please if you have any possible answers to my questions or questions of your own please share!

Attila

CBH
    ?

The knife is referred to as Theatre made knife , meaning it's was made in a combat theatre using whatever was available , many have sharpen ground down files for blades , some use existing blades with new handles . During WWII plexiglass was still rare and rather exotic , hence it it used in many handles . I'll post a photo of my example , ground down file blade , plexiglass and aluminium handle .
    Also welcome to the Forum , we don't like to give prices around here , too many come for a free appraisals . But I'm sure other here can answer all your questions .
    Last edited by CBH; 02-28-2016 at 07:15 PM.

joydivision
    ?

Thank you for your reply! Sorry about asking an evaluation, understandable. i thought perhaps the blade was handmade because one side of the blade has an inner concave and doesn't look like knife blades Ive seen.

CBH
    ?

Yes yours could be a handmade blade , I was just explaining the type . Some used reused blades , some used handmade blades . You can even find German dagger blades being reused . Also i forgot to post my example , not as nice as yours . There is a thread devoted to these knives .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hungarian Soldier WWII Trench Art Questions