Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Skull insignia for Spanish Lusitania cavalry regiment

Article about: These interesting skull collar insignia arrived today from Spain. This insignia is usually hard to find in a matching pair, and I'm glad to have found them as such. I took some photo's with

Hi Aldo,

That buckle looks absolutely fantastic. It would be great if turn out to be original item. Amazing piece. I hope that you will be able to find some confirmation for it, I really have never seen better looking skull and on that buckle is just looking outstanding.

Best regards,
    Franko

?

Quote by Franjo Vuk View Post
    Hi Aldo,

That buckle looks absolutely fantastic. It would be great if turn out to be original item. Amazing piece. I hope that you will be able to find some confirmation for it, I really have never seen better looking skull and on that buckle is just looking outstanding.

Best regards,
    Franko
    Me Too, I have searched endlessly for visual confirmation but nothing yet. In the meantime a few more pics I found of the regiment uniform and insignia while searching

Skull insignia for Spanish Lusitania cavalry regimentSkull insignia for Spanish Lusitania cavalry regiment
    Skull insignia for Spanish Lusitania cavalry regimentSkull insignia for Spanish Lusitania cavalry regiment

?

Just to bump this thread back into perspective, I'll add another picture. This one illustrates a lancer of the Lusitania regiment wearing the same uniform as shown in the previous picture. Note the skull insignia on the collar are identical to the cap device directly under the closed version Imperial crown insignia of King Alfonso XIII.

Last edited by Aldo; 05-09-2018 at 03:10 AM.

?

I have not been able to find any more information on this buckle and although I am tempted to get one, I'm still searching for evidence of use by the Lusitania regiment or civil war tank regiments. I did notice on the photo below a small circular mark on the face of the buckle which indicates it is die struck and not a cheap cast. I believe that circle mark is made by the ejector pin. In order to remove a part from the die, movable ejector pins are used. This will result in a residual ejector pin mark on the part. This of course does not help identify it's origins but it speaks to the quality of the buckle

Hi Aldo
    Just see this Beltbuckle for sale EURO 198.!
    is discribed as "Cazadores" Hunters Buckle
    perhaps used by Tankers in Civil War?

?

Quote by Germanski View Post
    Hi Aldo
    Just see this Beltbuckle for sale EURO 198.!
    is discribed as "Cazadores" Hunters Buckle
    perhaps used by Tankers in Civil War?
    Yes, that's what the seller states but I cannot verify it's authenticity. I need to see a picture, illustration or literature that it was used during that time frame by Spanish tankers. I have yet to find anything to support it is an original period buckle. I keep looking through photo's of Spanish tankers to no avail. Thanks, Al

?

Well I managed to get a little closer to authenticating this belt buckle. After scouring the internet for hours I found this photo of a Spanish civil war soldier wearing what appears to be a skull with crossbones buckle. The resolution on the picture is not high enough for me to zoom in and know for sure. It could just be an infantry buckle like below. However if it's a skull, the configuration is a bit different and it may be a version that was utilized by the Republican army tank regiments not the Nationalists. I need the old CSI trick on TV to blow up the picture on a big screen to know for sure.

?

I stand corrected on that last post. I was able to enlarge the photo enough to see that the buckle is a standard infantry design and not a skull. I must have been loopy from looking at so many images that I convinced myself it was the skull design.

?

My quest to authenticate and verify the existence of the skull buckle in period photographs or illustrations has hit a dead end. Hours upon hours of refined internet searches have resulted in the same 2-3 images of this buckle being sold by one dealer in Barcelona. While this dealer is reputable and I have purchased items from him in the past, I can't imagine that he is the only one to come across this particular pattern of buckle.

?

Default Portapliegos de Cazadores de Lusitania 1911-31

I found this image of a Spanish cavalry sabretache bearing the skull of the Lusitania regiment.This would be a spectacular find for both my Spanish collection and Totenkopf collection. Just wishful thinking on my part

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast