Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Spanish Civil War Militia Banner, Armband & ID papers

Article about: This is a big addition to my Spanish collection consisting of a Civil War Militia Banner and related items. The banner is printed with the words "Second Line Militia" and "Sot

?

Default Spanish Civil War Militia Banner, Armband & ID papers

This is a big addition to my Spanish collection consisting of a Civil War Militia Banner and related items. The banner is printed with the words "Second Line Militia" and "Soto Del Barco." Soto del Barco being a province or area in the principality of Asturias on the northern coast of Spain. The banner also bears the symbol of the Falange or "Phalanx" party, the Yoke and Arrows, and what appears to be the likeness of Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera, the founder of the Falange movement.

The banner shows extensive wear and is authentic as can be with provenance to provide details. Included in the lot is an identification card with a picture of a young man identified as Ramon Alvarez Tejedor, 22 years old. It states that he pertains to the Second Line Militia of Soto del Barco and has orders to report to the local precinct in the town of Oviedo, dated October 3, 1936. The corresponding armband is in excellent condition and bears the same militia membership #137 as the ID card. It also bears the stamp of the Second Line Militia of Soto del Barco as well.

Spanish Civil War Militia Banner, Armband & ID papersSpanish Civil War Militia Banner, Armband & ID papers

There is also a numbered receipt from a pay book or quota book that states he paid an unknown amount of pesetas on behalf of his quota for the month of March 1932. Apparently when he was 18 years old he belonged to the local chapter of the Falange party in Madrid and this may be a receipt for his dues.

The F.E. blue book is the Falange party booklet that outlines all the basic tenets of the movement.

The last article is the "Medal of the Old Guard" booklet. I believe this is the book that accompanies the "Yoke and Arrows medal" awarded to members in good standing. Apparently he received his in 1933, and would be inscribed with his name, a serial #8371 and the date. Unfortunatley I do not have his medal but I included one from my collection for reference.

Spanish Civil War Militia Banner, Armband & ID papersSpanish Civil War Militia Banner, Armband & ID papers

I visited this area of Spain last year as my wife's family is from Asturias. I can attest to the beauty of this part of Spain and it's loyal and friendly people. I am proud to own a piece of history that I feel a connection to. If you are interested in seeing more related Spanish items, ckeck out my Spanish collection thread

Spanish Civil War / Blue Division Volunteer Collection

?

Very nice piece of history. It would be great if you one day came over the numbered medal.

?

Thanks, it has crossed my mind. I will be searching these medals for the serial numbers from now on. Like a needle in a haystack but it may surface one day.

?

I do have another Second Line Militia armband in my collection unrelated to this lot. To my surprise as I read the stamp it also says Soto del Barco. I'm blown away by the coincidence as I had not noticed this before. I can start my own Asturias Militia Brigade. I also have a nice 1930's Spain National Flag and civil war era Falange banner.

MAP
    ?

Wow! What great pieces of history. Congratulations!!!!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for sharing Aldo, you have a great collection. My wife and her family are from the Pamplona area which was a Nationalist stronghold as well. It amazes me how some of the elderly folks in Navarra, mostly women living in the country, still have pictures of Franco hanging in their living rooms. Very interesting, but violent period for Espana. I'm fascinated by the civil war but haven't read a lot about it.

Jay

?

Thanks Jay. That's why I love this forum, it gives me a platform to share my interest with other like-minded people. Where else can I babble on about an old tattered banner and a few pieces of paper without peoples eyes glazing over with boredom. I became interested in the civil war primarily because of the involvement of the Condor Legion and the testing grounds for the Luftwaffe. But after visiting Spain and reading about the conflict I became hooked on a whole different level. Having visited the countryside of Asturias I know what you mean by the attitude towards Franco by the older folks. It was a complicated struggle with extreme violence on both sides, and not easily explained. In fact the country house I visited had this tile work on their front entrance

?

Great stuff! Thanks for posting. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

LOL, my eyes definitely won't glaze over. I love seeing posts about that period. Keep it coming!

Jay

How nice it is to see people interested in the history of my country!

Regards,

MG.