Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Spanish Insignia Sample Board

Article about: I just received this wonderful Spanish insignia sample board from the early 1900's. The insignia depicted was in use under the reign of King Alfonso XIII until his abdication in 1931 and the

Good looking display, Al.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Excellent display. Great job mounting it. Love the plaque at the bottom. Nice Touch!!

May I ask about post#2. The second cap down on the left. It has what looks like a cross with a dagger blade bottom. Its below the crown. What is that emblem?. I happen across one of those on the site while searching eagles for my M26. Thought it interesting but had no idea what it was for..

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Excellent display. Great job mounting it. Love the plaque at the bottom. Nice Touch!!

May I ask about post#2. The second cap down on the left. It has what looks like a cross with a dagger blade bottom. Its below the crown. What is that emblem?. I happen across one of those on the site while searching eagles for my M26. Thought it interesting but had no idea what it was for..

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Phil, that symbol is the St. James cross or Santiago cross (Santiago Matamoros) the moor slayer. It's prevalent in many Spanish insignia and also associated with the crusades. In the case of that cap it may have been for a cavalry officer. Here are few of my St. James cross pins and badges in my collection.

Spanish Insignia Sample BoardSpanish Insignia Sample Board

I congratulate you, Aldo. Your badge collection has been very well exposed in that framework.

Hi Phil.
    The eagle emblem for your helmet (The Eagle's Have Landed Spanish M26) is the San Andrés Eagle with the Cross of Santiago, which is the emblem of the Spanish infantry.
    The Cross of Santiago, although it is a little different in its design in the emblem of the infantry eagle, is the same as Aldo shows, first in the cap of the era of Alfonso XIII, as later in the many of his collection.

It is also the symbol that is made in the popular cake of Santiago (almond cake) in my land

It is also the symbol of the pilgrims who make the Camino de Santiago (Way os Saint James)

Aldo, as you know, your two pins with the cross of Santiago with the flags of the allied nations of national Spain are very, very rar

?

Thank you Al and Santia for the excellent explanation and the visual's of it in wear and used on Cake's!!!

Like I had mentioned, I saw this when searching for the Eagles and thought that it would look cool with them. But didn't know exactly what it stood for. Maybe I'll get one of those. I know where to find it!! Thanks Al
    The info was Very Much appreciated!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Santi , I visted the city of Santiago de Compostela in Galicia where the pilgimage culminates and it was a wonderful experience. An ancient city with beautiful architecture and no vehicular traffic. It was a sureal mixture of locals, tourists, hippies, and the Faithful. Something i will never forget.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2