Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Spanish military insigna

Article about: Feel free to move to other sub-forum; I know Spain wasn't literaly a Axis force, but didn't know where to put my question. Could any one tell me from when, untill when thise military symbol

Default Spanish military insigna

Feel free to move to other sub-forum; I know Spain wasn't literaly a Axis force, but didn't know where to put my question.
    Could any one tell me from when, untill when thise military symbol have been used on Spanish headgear and uniforms?
    Thanks.
    |<ris
    Attached Images Attached Images Spanish military insigna 
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Default Re: Spanish military insigna

No one who can answer thise question?
    |<ris

cheers
    |<ris

This is the simbol of the Spanish Army, since 40's to now. It looks to be the insignia used to decorate the front helmet.

Also thought it was Franco's periode, didn't know it was still in use!
    Thanks!
    |<ris

cheers
    |<ris

Yes, Franco's period and now. This symbol used the cross of Santiago's Order and the Eagle (more ancient than Franco's period, maybe year 1480)

Spanish military insigna

That is correct, this symbol is currently used for the Spanish Army. The navy and airforce symbols are the same with minor adaptations for the respective branchs. During the 14th century, this symbol shows up in several king's coats of arms. The symbol did not truly become the "National symbol until Isabel cobbled together the autonomous regions in the 15th century. So to answer the question, it's been the official emblem for Spain from the late 15th century to today.

Jay

Ok guys!
    All is clear to me ....
    ....that it would be hard to date a item, just by the crowned eagle bearing the cross of Santiago's Order !
    |<ris

cheers
    |<ris

It most certainly would be Kris. They've been using it for over five hundred years with only a few very minor changes. If that is a cross on a helmet in your photo I have no idea how you could verify if the insigina is wartime or postwar. I sure give Spain credit for being consistent.

Jay

ASR
    ?

Hello,

Though inspired by traditional heraldry, the badge itsef was ushered in by the 1943 regulations (January). This is the simbol of the Spanish Army since then.
    Its design was inspired by Whermacht and Regio Esercito counterparts.

It frequently appears on post-war buttons, caps and shoulder boards.

The last replacements of the Spanish Blue Divison made limited use of it, specially on buckles (pictures exist).
    In the late seventies /early eighties the crown was modify to comply with the new status as a kingdom.

PLEASE BEWARE!!! Usually in fairs and on the net this is considered Spanish Civil War. Actually it is not! Some items might be SCW vintage reissued during the forties, but must not.

I never quite understood the purpose for adding such a fairly large, shiny insignia to a soldier's forehead...
    cheers, Glenn