MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

ww2 Hungarian helmets

Article about: Wow- very impressive collection. My 1st Hungarian Combat helmet is in no where this mint condition but I am very happy to have it in my collection. It's a MÁVAG 66, still has liner band and

Default Re: ww2 Hungarian helmets

Hi!

see my posts on walhalla:
    Board Message
    Only two helmet makers existed in Hungary:

1. MÁVAG (Magyar Királyi Vas, Acél és Gépgyárak in Budapest
    --maker mark "MÁVAG" ( DM in helmets produced for Finnland)

2. Magyar Waggon és Gépgyár in Győr
    --maker mark "GY" ( DR in helmets for Finnland)

Negotiations had started between two more firms and the Ministry of War regarding the production of a new combat helmet type (M35) to replace the vintage WW1 models. The prototype was the german ET M35 helmet.

1. Weiss Manfréd acél- és fémművei Rt in Budapest (Csepel)
    2. AJAX in Budapest

Only Ajax signed a contract for 59628 helmets but later this lot was delivered by the Magyar Waggon in Győr. None of them had ever started real helmet production.

"59628 helmets"- is this the total number of helmets made for the Hungarian army for WWII?

It seems such a small number. If true that makes these helmets rather rare indeed- happy I was able to get one!

Quote by Schachbrett View Post
    Thanks a lot! Finnaly serious overview of Hungairan M35's.
    Do You maybe know, were they made under the license? ...
    Finnland, I assume

Of course this 59628 lot was ordered from AJAX ( in 1935) but according to an agreement between the owner of AJAX and the Magyar Waggon és Gépgyár the GY plant delivered this quantity. The total number of produced hungarian helmets is unknown (probably less than a million) but we know that helmet production started in 1935 and went on until late 1944. GY maker's plant was bombed down completely by US bombers in april of 1944 and never produced helmets anymore. We know the max capacity of both helmet makers and we know that Hungary shipped 75.000 helmets to Finnland in 1940. (37.500 from each maker).
    Last edited by easternwarfront; 01-07-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Quote by Reibert View Post
    Finnland, I assume
    No, that's why we call this type hungarian M35 helmet because these were made in Hungary.
    Two makers:
    1. MÁVAG (Magyar Királyi Vas, Acél és Gépgyárak in Budapest
    --maker mark "MÁVAG" ( DM in helmets produced for Finnland)

2. Magyar Waggon és Gépgyár in Győr
    --maker mark "GY" ( DR in helmets for Finnland)
    75.000 helmets were shipped to Finnland. Unfortunetly only these finnish helmets are known worldwide really among collectors although the vast majority remained in Hungary or ended in russian soil or forge.

Thx. !

Quote by easternwarfront View Post
    Of course this 59628 lot was ordered from AJAX ( in 1935) but according to an agreement between the owner of AJAX and the Magyar Waggon és Gépgyár the GY plant delivered this quantity. The total number of produced hungarian helmets is unknown (probably less than a million) but we know that helmet production started in 1935 and went on until late 1944. GY maker's plant was bombed down completely by US bombers in april of 1944 and never produced helmets anymore. We know the max capacity of both helmet makers and we know that Hungary shipped 75.000 helmets to Finnland in 1940. (37.500 from each maker).
    Ok, that's still a very low number considering what other nations produced- again thanks for all the great information here!

Cool and interesting thread.I've now identified a liner I have as Hungarian.
    Thanks for posting.

Hungarian chinstrap buckles

Vast majority: standard hungarian ww2 buckle (brass)
    large number of postwar and some late war examples (alu)

However I have two variant buckles in my collection:

An unusually large and elongated alu buckle from close postwar period and a pre45 ww2 example rolled buckle. (frequency is unknown but up to now other has not surfaced)

Hungarian war time reissued helmets (repainted, overpainted)

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast