Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

ww2 Hungarian helmets

Article about: Wow- very impressive collection. My 1st Hungarian Combat helmet is in no where this mint condition but I am very happy to have it in my collection. It's a MÁVAG 66, still has liner band and

?

Default Re: ww2 Hungarian helmets

This is a great thread, thanks for taking the time to show all this stuff, you have an impressive collection. Threads like this are what makes this forum so good, where else can you see and learn this stuff.
    Steve.

Question regarding those rear metal loops-"D" rings... What was the purpose?

Quote by Schachbrett View Post
    Question regarding those rear metal loops-"D" rings... What was the purpose?
    First of all, D-rings hold the chinstrap and rear loop was intended to help during packing for soldiers to fix their helmets properly and to spare the sewn chinstraps which were more difficult to replace compared with the german type.
    Actually only cavalry used this rear loop for packing.

Hungarian M35 helmet was produced in four sizes but only MÁVAG produced the smallest ones (62)

MÁVAG: 62, 64, 66, 68
    GY: 64, 66, 68

Acceptance stamp is analogous to the german practice namely not every helmet got it only one or some from a larger lot. Only one specific stamp exists regardless of the maker or date and the representatives of KÁB (Federal Acceptance Comission) were authorized to examine the produced helmets and place their specific stamp directly into the steel. The stamp forms a hungarian royal coat of arms and usually can be found on the inner rear skirt or on the left side. Interestingly approximately 60% of GY helmets feature acceptance stamp while only 6.4 % of MÁVAG produced helmets.

Specific stamps on hungarian helmets:

Approx 13-16 different "hardness test" stamp are known to exist until now indicating different (exact explanation for each has not surfaced) tests done right after pressing and hardening. A well known hungarian researcher 'werwolf' has been exploring the history of hungarian ww2 combat helmets and he played a major role in this puzzle game. He mentioned these stamps first. According to my research it seems that "hardness test" markings are maker specific of MÁVAG in Budapest. None of GY helmets bears such test symbols.

Quote by easternwarfront View Post
    Specific stamps on hungarian helmets:

Approx 13-16 different "hardness test" stamp are known to exist until now indicating different (exact explanation for each has not surfaced) tests done right after pressing and hardening. A well known hungarian researcher 'werwolf' has been exploring the history of hungarian ww2 combat helmets and he played a major role in this puzzle game. He mentioned these stamps first. According to my research it seems that "hardness test" markings are maker specific of MÁVAG in Budapest. None of GY helmets bears such test symbols.

-encircled B
    -encircled 10
    -encircled 12
    -encircled square
    -encircled N or Z
    -encircled + or x
    -3 points in a circle
    -half circle
    -encircled -
    -encircled S
    -encircled 1 or L

"hardness test" symbols (incomplete):

Ink acceptance stamps on liners:

K.Á.B. ( Federal Acceptance Commision) placed ink acceptance stamps on 35 M civil defence helmet liners (maybe on combat helmets' liners too) of a laureate hatchment with date and the letters os K.Á.B.
    In my collection I can differentiate 3 main types of these ink stamps. Recently I've seen a rounded, bordered variation but I am not sure it was completely authentic.

This is very good informative thread. Thanks for all the great info and pics.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Some 35 M hungarian helmets from my collection and an exceptional , well preserved GY64 helmet with very nice liner and strap, great green-brown color and named to "Török".

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast