Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

70th Anniversary of Heydrich's assassination

Article about: This is a very intense thread,,, thanks for showing! Larry

Default Re: 70th Anniversary of Heydrich's assassination

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    Very true, Carl, Heydrich was certainly intelligent and ambitious, a combination of those traits together with a complete lack of empathy for anyone made him extremely dangerous and unpredictable. We can only speculate as to how far up the chain of command he would have eventually risen had he not been stopped by the brave actions of his assassins.
    If I remeber reading correctly, AH chose Heydrich as his successor. So, he would have risen to the top. This was the worst of the worst of mankind. The memorial site is nice but could have been even more grand.
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Quote by Greenhorn View Post
    If I remeber reading correctly, AH chose Heydrich as his successor. So, he would have risen to the top. This was the worst of the worst of mankind. The memorial site is nice but could have been even more grand.
    I thought it was Goring next in line, followed by Donitz?

Quote by sunsetIE View Post
    I thought it was Goring next in line, followed by Donitz?
    That is also correct, but after Heydrich's death. Mind you, I don't think any of this was on paper, it was what AH wanted. Perhaps Goring's promotion was on paper, I don't know.
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

?

As the saying amongst the SS used to go...

"Himmler's brain is called Heydrich..."

Says all we need to know when we think about it.

?

The early hours of tomorrow morning, the 4th June, shall mark the 70th anniversary of Reinhard Heydrich's death. It will come one week after the 70th anniversary of the assassination attempt, which has been discussed here. Heydrich died in hospital, as a result of an infection which occured following wounds he sustained during the attack. Hitler was furious when he learnt that Heydrich had not listened to the repeated requests for him to take more care when driving to Prague from Panenské Břežany, the cosy little village that he lived in outside of the city. Heydrich's arrogance cost him in the dearest possible way, for he felt that an open top cabriolet would show to the masses that he was not afraid, and why should he be, was he not their Protector? Heydrich was actually showing signs of recovery, in the days just prior to his death, and this led to some optimism amongst the Nazi hierarchy. These hopes were quashed when he died, aged 38, in Bulovka hospital, Prague at approximately 4.30am on 4.6.1942. Some later questioned the decision by the doctors to ignore the advice of Hitler's personal physician, Dr.Theodor Morell, who suggested using a new anti-bacterial drug called sulfonomide. But those caring for Heydrich believed that the patient was responding, despite a fever. Himmler visited Heydrich on the 2nd June, when Heydrich famously quoted one of his father's operas. Later, he slipped into a coma from which he never awoke. Incidently, after he was attacked, Heydrich was helped into a delivery truck that took him to hospital, by a woman who was passing by. This lady was actually the wife of the doctor who performed the autopsy on Karl Hermann Frank, following his execution in Prague in 1946. Below are two images of part of the memorial to the children of Lidice. Today, I would choose to take a moment to remember them, the innocents.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 70th Anniversary of Heydrich's assassination   70th Anniversary of Heydrich's assassination  

Very emotive memorial, Carl, exactly as there should be.

?

It is Dave. When you stand in front of it, and you stop to think, you realise the enormity of what stands before you. The sculpture itself is a wonderful work, one of the most detailed one could ever wish to see. Fitting, for so great a loss.

Regards,

Carl

Attachment 355672
    This Sunday, i can visit the crypt where the commando died.

?

A few images taken within the replica KZ currently in the centre of Prague. The exhibit displays 70 stories from people who were living in the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia during the Nazi occupation. Shown below are the memorial to victims who died at Mauthausen, and reconstructions of the fencing and watch towers present at the camps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 70th Anniversary of Heydrich's assassination   70th Anniversary of Heydrich's assassination  

70th Anniversary of Heydrich's assassination  

?

Another part of the exhibit shows a replica of one of tools that the SS used to assist them in killing prisoners at some of the camps. The method was used within medical examination rooms, and utilised what would appear to the prisoner, as a regular height measuring stand. However, behind the base of the neck was a small opening that was concealed until the prisoner's neck was resting on the size scale. Then, the executioner who would be hiding in a small area behind the wall, would quietly open the small hatch and shoot the prisoner through the base of the neck with a single pistol shot. Many prisoners died in this way at camps such as KZ Buchenwald. The images below the reproduction aparatus, were taken in the medical examination room at KZ Buchenwald, as it is today.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 70th Anniversary of Heydrich's assassination  

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast