Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

An 89-Year-Old British Veteran Escaped His Nursing Home To Attend D-Day Celebrations

Article about: Ben Farmer, The Telegraph Jun. 6, 2014, 1:08 PM Bernard Jordan, former mayor of Hove, was identified as the veteran who absconded from his care home and made his way to Normandy An 89-year-o

We can't blame it on the nursing/care home, how do we know that they weren't under staffed and couldn't spare anyone. The fact that he appears to be mobile, in high spirits and fully aware suggests in my opinion that he is a resident in a very good home.

Hats off to a man who still has that kind of determination and a thank you to all veterans where ever you may be.

I reckon it was more like...

An 89-Year-Old British Veteran Escaped His Nursing Home To Attend D-Day Celebrations

Unreal that he was told he couldn't attend after having risked his life there. That will show them he is quite able to go!!!

Default Follow Up Story-Bernard Jordan Comes Home

British veteran Bernard Jordan, 89, flees care home to join D-Day commemorations in France

Updated 3 hours 41 minutes ago

An 89-year-old British World War II veteran who went missing from his retirement home has been found in France enjoying a D-Day anniversary get-together with former comrades.

Bernard Jordan slipped out of The Pines care home in the seaside town of Hove in southern England on Thursday wearing his medals under his raincoat.

The former Royal Navy officer then joined a coach party heading for events marking the 70th anniversary of the landings at Ouistreham in Normandy, northern France.

Mr Jordan, who is now back home, was missing for around 12 hours before a younger veteran contacted the home to say he was fine but in France.

"I had a great time, I'm really pleased I did it," Mr Jordan said after arriving home on a ferry into Portsmouth.

He accepted that his stunt might get him in trouble at the care home when he got back.

"Yeah, I'm going to have to face that but it's just one of those things," he said.

Ferry official Sonia Pittam, who met Mr Jordan on his journey out to France, described him as "a game old boy".

"He certainly has his wits about him, he didn't say much about the landings, just how pleased he was to be on board and couldn't believe how everyone was looking after them (the veterans) and all the people waving on the route to the harbour entrance," she said.

I had a great time, I'm really pleased I did it.
    Bernard Jordan

"He kept saying, 'All this for us'."

Debbie McDonald, manager of Mr Jordan's care home, told AFP he was now back with them and resting.

"He's really tired so at the moment he's just getting himself together and having a bit of a rest," she said.

The company which runs the home has insisted he was not banned from joining the commemorations, as was originally reported.

They had tried to get him on an accredited tour but it was too late to do so due to the "last minute" request, Gracewell Healthcare said.

Local police say they have spoken to Jordan and will talk to him after his return "to check he is OK".
    Veteran hailed by British press

Many British newspapers ran the story on their front pages Saturday, with several dubbing it "The Great Escape" after the 1963 film about Allied prisoners of war escaping from a German camp during World War II.

Mr Jordan embodied "the spirit and determination of June 6, 1944", the Daily Mail said, while the Daily Telegraph wrote that his actions showed "all the determination that got him through the Normandy invasion".

Mr Jordan is a former mayor of Hove whose proudest moments include meeting former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher, according to a recent Gracewell Healthcare blog posting about him.

"It was definitely one of my favourite memories. She was an amazingly strong lady," he said in the post.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

If only all the veterans stories were so heartwarming. This "SAS veteran" and his medals, spotted yesterday, are about as real as his 'rifle'. Who do these people think they're fooling, it's just sad.

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

a bit of over hype by the news media.

?

Great story, good for him

Quote by big ned View Post
    If only all the veterans stories were so heartwarming. This "SAS veteran" and his medals, spotted yesterday, are about as real as his 'rifle'. Who do these people think they're fooling, it's just sad.

A fake veteran??

He does have some random medals and doesn't have the ones you would expect to see!

So old people (I'm 76) are sent to ALF'S (Assisted Living Facilities) and other Care Homes by spouse or children that have Power of Attorney and Health Care Surrogate and in reality they are imprisoned because no one wants to be bothered. If one has no memory of anyone and can not take care of there basic needs, then that is most likely what needs to be done. But folks like this brave and proud Vet need to be able to still have some freedom and say so over there day to day life. They have earned it. 3 Cheers for this spunky old guy, hope I will be the same.. Richard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast