MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Able Seaman William Alfred Savage VC, Falmouth Cemetery Cornwall

Article about: I was down in Falmouth, Cornwall last weekend and with it being Remembrance Weekend upon us, I thought I would post these pictures of the grave of Able Seaman William Alfred Savage VC. Bill

Default Able Seaman William Alfred Savage VC, Falmouth Cemetery Cornwall

I was down in Falmouth, Cornwall last weekend and with it being Remembrance Weekend upon us, I thought I would post these pictures of the grave of Able Seaman William Alfred Savage VC. Bill was killed on board H.M.MGB 314 during the St.Nazaire Raid 28th March 1942. While evacuating away from the Old Entrance and into the Loire Estuary and towards the Old Mole, the MGB was spotted by shore Battery's on both sides of the Estuary and came under heavy gun fire and was hit several times. A gun emplacement on the Old Mole very close to the MGB then began to open fire on the MGB. Able Seaman Bill Savages forward Pom Pom gun was the only gun left in action and he silenced the gun emplacement for a while but then it burst into life again and continued to pound the MGB. Savage stayed at his gun under considerable small arms and heavy gun fire and was ultimately killed at his gun.
    He was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross.

While at his grave, I cleaned the leaves away and placed a Cross of Remembrance, there was nothing else in place at the time

His citation reads:

For great gallantry, skill and devotion to duty as gunlayer of the pom-pom in a motor gun boat in the St. Nazaire raid. Completely exposed and under heavy fire, he engaged positions ashore with cool and steady accuracy. On the way out of the harbour he kept up the same vigorous and accurate fire against the attacking ships, until he was killed at his gun. This Victoria Cross is awarded in recognition not only of the gallantry and devotion to duty of Able Seaman Savage, but also of the valour shown by many others, unnamed, in Motor Launches, Motor Gun Boats and Motor Torpedo Boats, who gallantly carried out their duty in entirely exposed positions against Enemy fire at very close range.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Able Seaman William Alfred Savage VC, Falmouth Cemetery Cornwall   Able Seaman William Alfred Savage VC, Falmouth Cemetery Cornwall  

Able Seaman William Alfred Savage VC, Falmouth Cemetery Cornwall   Able Seaman William Alfred Savage VC, Falmouth Cemetery Cornwall  

Able Seaman William Alfred Savage VC, Falmouth Cemetery Cornwall   Able Seaman William Alfred Savage VC, Falmouth Cemetery Cornwall  

a nice thing to do,we will remember them.