Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

For Adrian: Outlaws

Article about: In the thread about the J.M. Davis Collection Adrian commented about the pics of outlaw guns, that I posted. So here are a small pictorial for Adrian and everybody else who finds the old wes

?

Smile For Adrian: Outlaws

In the thread about the J.M. Davis Collection Adrian commented about the pics of outlaw guns, that I posted.

So here are a small pictorial for Adrian and everybody else who finds the old west fascinating.

I went on a roadtrip. This sign is a good indication of things to come

The truck I drove to my destination

One does have to travel in style after all

So, can you see where I am going with this?

Yup, it's Coffeyville, Kansas. The place where the Dalton gang tried to rob two banks at the same time and which ended so tragic for the Dalton Gang and townfolk alike on that fateful day of October 5. 1892.

Plenty on Wiki about the Dalton Gang of trainrobbers. Here is the gist of the (in-)famous Coffeyville Raid by the Dalton Gang:

The gang could have kept themselves busy with train robberies, but Bob Dalton wanted to make sure his name would long be remembered. He would, he claimed, "beat anything Jesse James ever did—rob two banks at once, in broad daylight." On October 5, 1892, the Dalton gang attempted this feat when they set out to rob the C.M. Condon & Company's Bank and the First National Bank in Coffeyville, Kansas. Since the locals were aware of what they looked like, they wore fake beards. But they were still identified by one of the townspeople.

The Banks: C.M. Condon & Co

Although it says greetings on the bank, it was not the welcome that the Daltons counted on. Instead of bags full of money, they got a warm welcome of lead.

While the gang was busy trying to hold up the banks, the people armed themselves and prepared for a gun battle.

Ishams Hardware Store from whence the townfolk picked up guns and prepared for battle

A close-up of Ishams just across the square from the bank

When the gang exited the banks, a shootout began. There were three townspeople shot, and Town Marshal Charles Connelly was killed when he ran into the street after hearing gunfire, returning fire before he died killing one member of the gang.

Memorial stone where Town Marshal Connely was gunned down.

Grat Dalton, Bob Dalton, Dick Broadwell and Bill Powers were killed. Emmett Dalton received 23 gunshot wounds and survived. He was given a life sentence in the Kansas penitentiary in Lansing, Kansas, of which he served 14 years before being pardoned. He moved to California and became a real estate agent, author and actor, and died in 1937 at age 66. Bill Doolin, "Bitter Creek" Newcomb, and Charlie Pierce were the only members left of the Dalton Gang, although none was present at the Coffeyville shootout. Speculation later suggested that there had been a sixth man holding horses in an alleyway and that he had escaped, and that man was believed to have been Bill Doolin. However, that has never been confirmed.

Alley next to the (new) Condon Bank where gangmembers tried to flee. It is just across from the original Condon Bank.

Original bullethole in wall of alley.

If a gangmember in the alley looked over his shoulder he would have seen this sight: The Bank and square. Back then he would have seen plenty of agitated townfolk shooting at him, the air would have been thick with lead and he would have heard the lead whizzing by.

Further down is the City Jail where the bodies of slain gangmembers were put on display after the gunbattle. Here are models to show how.

Original photo of the dead gangmembers.

Emmett Dalton would say years after the robberies, and after his release from prison, that Deputy US Marshal Heck Thomas was a key factor in their decision to commit the robberies. According to Emmett, Thomas was relentless in his pursuit of the gang, keeping them on the move constantly. With one big score from the two banks, the gang intended on leaving the territory for a time, hoping the heat brought down by Thomas would subside.

City of Cofeyville. Plenty of historic buildings here.

Around the corner from the Condon Bank I visited a great museum. It is full of original guns, saddles and gear that belonged to members of the Dalton Gang. Further more there are some more stuff from the Banks

Another original bullethole in panel from bank

Emmet Dalton got punched full of holes; he got hit 23 times and still survived to live to ripe old age. Just amazing! He must have had the constitution of a horse. Imagine the limited art of medicine back then and further more consider the lead slugs of the time (44-40,38-40, 45-70, 45 Long colt etc ad nauseam). Then maybe factor in the willingness (or lack there of) of the locals to treat him after the running gunbattle.

As an example of how the air was thick with bullets, here is Emmet Daltons cartridge belt

And a close-up that shows the hits on the belt and its contents

No trip to Coffyville is complete without a visit to the Elmwood Cemetary just outside Coffeyville. On the way there, I passed this mansion

Gravesite of Bob and Grat Dalton and Bill Powers. Behind the headstone is the actual hitching post that gangmembers tied their horses to before venturing into the banks.

In the same cemetary lies also townfolk who opposed the gang. Here C. Brown.

The Brown family plot

A relation to the Daltons also rests in Elmwood cemetary though he did not ride with the Dalton Gang. Franklin Dalton was a lawman and died in the line of duty years before the raid.

A close up of the same stone

Well, that concludes the pictorial. I can heartily recommend a visit to Coffeyville, Kansas. It reeks of history and the people there are very friendly. After touring the town I headed out on the road to another piece of history, but that is another story

I hope you enjoyed the pics of a visit to historic Coffeyville and further more I hope that I did not bore you too much

?

Default Re: For Adrian: Outlaws

Very interesting story, I like to read something about the countries where you are living! Thanks for sharing
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Very intresting ; indeed!
    I like the museum's "old fashion"display.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Hi, thank you for a very interesting and wonderfully presented thread! I really enjoyed it.

I love the way the town has preserved the history of the event. I cannot get over how he was hit 23 times and lived!

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi, thank you for a very interesting and wonderfully presented thread! I really enjoyed it.

I love the way the town has preserved the history of the event. I cannot get over how he was hit 23 times and lived!

Cheers, Ade.
    Inferior Weapon Systems Comrade...

Great stuff , injoyed it , cheers Raymond

?

Hey Scout. When you took the pictures of the welcome to Kansas sign and the Cherokee county sign you were looking north. Just behind you was Picher, Oklahoma. My home town. An entrance to the old Indian Nations on Highway 69. 2 miles farther south it connects with old route 66.
    Picher was an old hardrock mining town started at what was the end of the wild west just before WWI. 90% of the lead the USA used in its ammo in WWI and WWII came from the Picher mining fields. We had the later outlaws Charles " Pretty Boy " Floyd, Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker, Wilber Underhill, Ma Barker and her boys, etc., etc. They all came to Picher because there wasn't much for law then.
    Old Picher had about 25,000 people then, now it is dying out. It will be gone in a couple more years. Oh well I could go on and on.
    I am including a picture of my Dad in front of our old pool hall / mining museum. Dad is 80 years old in this photo. He is 83 now the last fistfight he had was 5 years ago 2 dudes that were in their 40's, he kicked the crap out of 1 but could not catch the other one. He thinks his age is starting to slow him down.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture For Adrian: Outlaws  

appie
    ?

very nice story and pictures. thank you for sharing!

?

Thanks for the comments.

SteveR, looks like I will have to go see Picher, Oklahoma when I some time later this year go to vist some friends in the US. Picher is only about 2 hours away from where I am in AK.

What an interesting story about Picher being a haven for the outlaws, that I have read so much about.

Lol, your dad sounds like a good man to have by your side in a dark alley facing some badguys.

Say hello from me.

Thanks for posting.