Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Aftermath of War, Berlin in May 1945

Article about: .

Default Re: Aftermath of War, Berlin in May 1945

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Sorry I have spent hours walking around Cologne, and it still shocks me to see pictures of the city, the aftermath of another 1000 bomber raid.
    Perhaps Herr Totenhead you would like to take a walk around Warsaw, Rotterdam, Coventry (and many more) and take in the ambiance, war is war, and unfortunatly they got what they deserved !
    I never met my Grandfather...he died over the Ruhr 20/12/44.....he was doing a good job at the time !
    pissed off at times..Steve.
    Last edited by oradour; 02-10-2013 at 02:42 PM.

My german grandfather's 8 year old nephew was killed in an air-raid on Mannheim, and my grandmother lived through the raids working in the Mannheim Armaments Industry making communications wire...her foreman was buried alive in one raid, he was dead by the time they dug him out...
    cheers,Glenn

Gentlemen....this forum is for the discussion and evaluation of worldwide Militaria...not for discussions that can offend ANY member with personal views on how a war was conducted....all combatants and civilians embroiled in ANY war wherever fought are victims...the offenders are usually politically motivated...this is NOT IMO the place to discuss/debate topics of a sensitive nature. I think it is time this thread was closed.
    Prost ! Steve.

What a mess that was left behind. The view over the city at the end clearly shows the extent of the destruction. Were all those empty building shells eventually pulled down or were some of them saved?

Tom

Looks like the rubble was removed one bucket at a time by the women! In fact, Mannheim has a monument for the Truemmerfrauen, or "Rubble-women" who worked in the ruins after the war...
    cheers, Glenn

Probably one of the most Iconic structures that has remained and is recognized world wide is the Brandenburg gate!
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Looks like the rubble was removed one bucket at a time by the women! In fact, Mannheim has a monument for the Truemmerfrauen, or "Rubble-women" who worked in the ruins after the war...
    cheers, Glenn
    I saw that Glenn. Here's a link for anyone interested. Trümmerfrau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tom

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Probably one of the most Iconic structures that has remained and is recognized world wide is the Brandenburg gate!
    That and the Reichstag building, both iconic Berlin structures for sure!

Saw a report yesterday that they're rebuilding the Berliner Schloss, the residence of the Hohenzollern dynasty. The ruins of the original structure were blown up and removed by the East Germans in 1950...it will be a meticulous reconstruction!
    cheers, Glenn

- - Updated - -

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast