Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Allen Williams Turret?

Article about: I'm not too sure is its Allen or Alan, but I was wondering if this perhaps a varient of one of the Allen Williams turrets built during the war. They are at Barry Buddon in Scotland and there

Question Allen Williams Turret?

I'm not too sure is its Allen or Alan, but I was wondering if this perhaps a varient of one of the Allen Williams turrets built during the war. They are at Barry Buddon in Scotland and theres 4 of them (Possibly More), 2 of which are intact.

Thanks

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allen Williams Turret?   Allen Williams Turret?  

Allen Williams Turret?   Allen Williams Turret?  

Default Re: Allen Williams Turret?

Wow !

Interesting little buggers these are. It does certainly look like a variant to the Alan Williams type. Have a look here.....

British hardened field defences of World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

....whilst not a precise match, it isn't far off at all. Probably an early/late adaption.

Was it on a mount ? Looking at your photographs it isn't obvious......if it wasn't on a mount it would be a static defence post with fixed firing lines.

Steve T

Hi Danny,
    Strange looking things arnt they but very interesting, You have brought back some memories for me with this one as i was training at Barry buddon back in 77. Bloody hot in the summer, and then onto Garelochhead to be hunted dressed as russians in those mountains we found lochlong very deep. Is the old army camp still there.
    Dave.

I wish the hot weather still existed The old camp has long gone, and so has the climbing tower I'm not complaining because the new-ish camp is quite good

Thanks

Danny

Red face Re: Allen Williams Turret?

Thanks for putting up this post. Many years ogo I was told that there was a metal pill box on the cliffs not far away.
    On finding it I found that it also had about 6 slit trenches nearby. The steel dome is exactly the same as the one on the Wikki. site. The dome had small steel wheels that sat on the circular steel track. This track sat on what appeared to be concrete manhole rings, the top "door"was missing. At the time I talked to the landowner with an idea of taking it home to restore but the idea faded away. Now after finding out exactly what it is called and the fact that very few survive I may have a re- think. If I do I will post some pics. of this piece of history. John.

If your able to get one of these for restoration, go for it because I dont imagine that theres a lot of them left. I wish I could remove one of them, but sadly they are on MOD property and will most likely end up getting removed and scrapped.

Thanks

Danny

Kapitan Jan
    ?

Default Allan Williams Turret

Quote by Blackpowder44 View Post
    Thanks for putting up this post. Many years ogo I was told that there was a metal pill box on the cliffs not far away.
    On finding it I found that it also had about 6 slit trenches nearby. The steel dome is exactly the same as the one on the Wikki. site. The dome had small steel wheels that sat on the circular steel track. This track sat on what appeared to be concrete manhole rings, the top "door"was missing. At the time I talked to the landowner with an idea of taking it home to restore but the idea faded away. Now after finding out exactly what it is called and the fact that very few survive I may have a re- think. If I do I will post some pics. of this piece of history. John.
    Hi (Blackpowder44), I know that this is a long shot in the dark but can you cast your mind back to this post. I have a great interest in pillboxes (being a member of the Pillbox Study Group) in general but have a particular passion for the humble Allan Williams Turret (AWT) and have for the past 3 years been trying to locate and log all surviving AWTs and was surprised to find reference via your post to one I knew nothing about. Can you help please, do you have an exact location for said turret and do you know if it is still there. Again I know it has been a long time since the original post but I would be grateful for any information.
    Regards
    Jan

MAP
    ?

Quote by Kapitan Jan View Post
    Hi (Blackpowder44), I know that this is a long shot in the dark but can you cast your mind back to this post. I have a great interest in pillboxes (being a member of the Pillbox Study Group) in general but have a particular passion for the humble Allan Williams Turret (AWT) and have for the past 3 years been trying to locate and log all surviving AWTs and was surprised to find reference via your post to one I knew nothing about. Can you help please, do you have an exact location for said turret and do you know if it is still there. Again I know it has been a long time since the original post but I would be grateful for any information.
    Regards
    Jan
    Jan, it would best to send Blackpowder a PM. Click on his name and a drop down box will appear. Click Private Message and away you go. You can also send him an email (from the same drop down box.)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Kapitan Jan
    ?

Hi MAP. Thanks for advice - have done that and now awaiting response.