Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

anyone know what this is? gun battary?

Article about: caught sight of this on a visit to fleetwood england which is near a small docks etc anyone know what it is and how long its been there? comments welcome thanks ewan

Default anyone know what this is? gun battary?

caught sight of this on a visit to fleetwood england which is near a small docks etc

anyone know what it is and how long its been there?

comments welcome

thanks ewan

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture anyone know what this is? gun battary?   anyone know what this is? gun battary?  

anyone know what this is? gun battary?   anyone know what this is? gun battary?  

?

Default Re: anyone know what this is? gun battary?

Hi Ewan , it`s a concrete pillbox fortification . They were constructed in 1940 and dotted all over the country as a defensive position , when it was feared we were going to be invaded .

cheers Al

looks to me like a regular standard british pillbox, of which thousands were built all across the country....

cheers for the info al @ gibba it has shooting holes in the back also like 360 degree protection it was good to see mate my first

Hi Ewan, I agree with the other guys, an anti invasion pillbox circa 1940.

Most, but not all, of these have been maped and cataloged now. I posted a link on the forum in a thread of mine to a site which shows them.

Cheers, Ade.

Yep, there are hundreds of the flipping things dotted all over the place. I see one regularly on the A47 between Leicester and Peterborough just on the side of the road. I always think it's a daft place for one because a short distance away is some high ground where this would have probably been better sited.

Best place to see these things is along the coast on any sandy beach. Bound to be a number overlooking the beaches.

Nice condition though that one is. They usually stink of pee and are full of rubbish

Steve T

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Ewan, I agree with the other guys, an anti invasion pillbox circa 1940.

Most, but not all, of these have been maped and cataloged now. I posted a link on the forum in a thread of mine to a site which shows them.

Cheers, Ade.
    hi ade what thread would that have been mate as i would like a print out of the map please

thanks mate

thanks for that link ade alot of usefull info but loads of it i cant seem to find these maped just now

Keep looking You can search the datebase by County.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast