Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Anything in Corfu?

Article about: Of on holiday to Corfu this year but I can't find any references to ww2 on the island other than general Italians then Germans then Allies? Anyone know of any further details? Thanks John

Default Anything in Corfu?

Off on holiday to Corfu this year but I can't find any references to ww2 on the island other than general Italians then Germans then Allies? Anyone know of any further details?

Thanks

John

I can't help you much when it comes to WW2-related things to see in particular, but be sure to hike up to the lighthouse at the Old Fortress. The view is worth it.

(I spent just one day on Corfou during a cruise on the Mediterranean Sea last year.)

I don't think you will find much of interest regarding WWII on Corfu. As I don't believe there was much "action".

I expect you know that the island was occupied by Italian forces but that was after Greece surrendered so the island was not invaded as such at that time.

When "Il Duce" fell from grace and Italy changed allegiance the Wehrmacht simply moved in to replace them on Corfu after some bombing by the Luftwaffe.

The island was subsequently liberated by the British, mostly 40 Cdo RM but I don't think there was much of a battle and I am not aware of any major German (or Italian for that matter) fortifications having been built. Before the liberation most if not all of the islands' Jewish population were deported to Auschwitz via Athens.

I regularly holiday in Greece itself and most people there don't really seem to know (or don't like to say) anything much about the war at all. There seems to be more knowledge of the British Army fighting the Communists in 1945 after WWII had ended and the Greek Civil War took place.

I used to try and find a "forgotten gem" but gave up and now I just enjoy the olives, feta and wine

It would be great to see anything you do find though!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks for the replies.

I have to learn what Greek is for do you know where I can find any ww2 relics?

Regards

John

It's a lovely island mate, went to Sidari twice in the 90s, Corfu Old Town is very charming, the type of place you 'might' find a bric a brac shop, but I don't remember one then, did look though !
    Regards
    Paul

I visited for a few days in the mid 80's, a lovely place, no idea if there was any WWII to be seen or bought, but sometimes you need to leave the hobby behind and just enjoy.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I have a couple of old BMW's and I'm always on the lookout for any 'left behinds'.

Last year in Cephalonia I came across an old guy with an old 1950's BMW. Expecting him to have a barn full off old BMW parts, I asked him where he got his spares from?

'Ebay' he said.

Regards

John