Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Arnhem: 65th Anniversary

Article about: Hi Guys, in just a few weeks time it will be the 65th Anniversary of "OP Market-Garden". For 12 years running I attended the anniversary commemorations. Sadly the last two years I

Default Arnhem: 65th Anniversary

Hi Guys, in just a few weeks time it will be the 65th Anniversary of "OP Market-Garden".

For 12 years running I attended the anniversary commemorations. Sadly the last two years I have missed the event due to finances. It costs at least £1000 to do this trip. But I will not be missing it this year for anything!

The organisation which handles the vintage vehicle and re-enactment side of things, Airborne Battle Wheels Oosterbeek, can be seen here:

Airborne Battle Wheels Oosterbeek Objectives

That is me and my good Veteran friend Don in the photo in my Jeep. Don will be there again this year as always. We will be there for 6 days.

Any forum members planning on going this year?

Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Re: Arnhem: 65th Anniversary

Hi Ade , i can`t make it this time , but i`d love to get there at some stage , it`s such a special place ! By the way that`s a nice photo of you and Don , and i love the Willys

cheers Al

I live in arnhem so i be there what is the exact date again ?

Hi Guys, here is the official programme of events for the Veterans. Al it is indeed a special place and British visitors are made to feel very welcome (which makes a change, given how some of our countrymen behave when abroad):

Official Programme 2009

Thursday 17th September
    09:00 - Wreath-laying - Oosterbeek
    19:00 - Wreath-laying - Heelsum
    20:30 - Annual meeting Arnhem Vets club - Oosterbeek

Friday 18th September
    09:00 - Flower-laying - Oosterbeek
    19:00 - Commemoration - Arnhem
    20:30 - Get-together for veterans

Saturday 19th September
    10:00 - Parachute drop - Ede
    11:15 - Wreath-laying - De Ginkel Heath
    13:30 - Parachute drop - Driel
    15:00 - Commemoration - Driel
    17:00 - Wreath-laying - Driel
    20:00 - Tattoo - Oosterbeek

Sunday 20th September
    09:00 - Church service - Oosterbeek
    11:00 - Official Memorial Service- Oosterbeek
    14:00 - Re-opening of the Airborne museum
    16:00 - Wreath-laying - Oosterbeek

I will also add some other times and dates of the re-enactment events and vehicle tours once I have them. There will also be a wreath laying by the Vets of the XXI (Pathfinders) at the Crossroads in Oosterbeek on the Friday. I will be with them for all of their events as I am a honourary member of the Association and I am their Newsletter Editor.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ade i won't be able to make it this year i had to choose either Normandy or Arnhem due to time constraints but i know when the time comes i'll be wishing i was there ,as you say the reception by the local people is excellent and i love watching the drops go in a good vet friend of mine Bill Reddecliffe made the drop last year.

I have a copy of the painting of the drop on Renkum Heath by Geoffrey Lea which is sigend by John Frost.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Paul, I know exactly how you will be feeling. I felt "pig sick" missing the last two years. I will certainly be doing a big photo thread for the forum if that is a little consolation.

Nice to have something signed by John Frost I never met him, but I did get to meet Gen Hackett.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ade i'll be looking forward to seeing some of the photos
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Just got back today

Had a fantastic time! The weather was superb, with no rain and sunshine everyday, which made camping in a WW2 tent OK.

The Vets all had a great time too I think.

Cheers, Ade.

Here is the new memorial in the form of a Horsa Glider located on the corner of the former DZ/LZ at Wolfheze. As you can see, it is pretty big. This picture was taken at the official unvieling of the memorial.

There was also a Para drop, with everyone wearing WW2 uniform. This should have been from a C47 Dakota, but sadly engine problems cancelled this aircraft, so the jumps were made from an Russian Antanov biplane.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arnhem: 65th Anniversary   Arnhem: 65th Anniversary  

Arnhem: 65th Anniversary   Arnhem: 65th Anniversary  

Ade,
    Great pics, pleased you had good weather for such a historic event. I love the pic of the re enactors and jeeps, change it to black and white and it could have been taken Sept 44.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast