Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The Austrian Army Museum

Article about: Having spent an extended Easter Weekend at Vienna, I just had to visit the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum (HGM) [lit. "Museum of Army History", although "Museum of Military Hist

Apropos Cafe Diglas.

diglas.at

- - ------- - -

It is across the Wollzeile from many good book stores.

siehe da.

Morawa Wollzeile, Wien - Morawa Bücher Online

thank you very much HPL.

Wow, what a museum. Definitely worths a visit. Thanks for this thread friend.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

Thank you for the finely presented thread - and superb photographs. Wien is a wonderful city - truly, one of Europe's gems.

?

Very good thread buddy. I really enjoyed the pictures.

Postscript: Having spent the past Easter weekend in Vienna, I took the opportunity to revisit the Austrian Army Museum three years after my first visit.

A statue of an Uhlan in front of the main entrance now greets the visitors. This is a copy of a work created ca. 1914/15 by the artist Arthur Kaan (1867 - 1940):

The Austrian Army Museum

During my first visit, the WWI section was closed for renovation and re-modelling. It has since re-opened, so I could catch up with what I had been missing the first time around. Due to lighting conditions etc., we once again took hardly any photographs, but here are a very few highlights from that section:

The 1911 Gräf & Stift automobile in which Archduke Franz Ferdinand took his last fateful car ride (his bloodstained uniform is also on display in the same room):

The Austrian Army Museum

A 38 cm super-heavy Belagerungshaubitze [siege howitzer] M 16:

The Austrian Army Museum

The Marshal's Baton of Archduke Friedrich von Österreich-Teschen (1856 - 1936), Supreme Commander of the Austro-Hungarian Army, promoted to Feldmarschall in 1914:

The Austrian Army Museum

The Austrian Army Museum

The Austrian Army Museum

The Austrian Army Museum

...and the Marshal's Baton of Franz Conrad von Hötzendorf (1852 - 1925), Chief of the General Staff of Austria-Hungary, promoted to Feldmarschall in 1916:

The Austrian Army Museum

Thanks for sharing these pictures Andreas! I am jealous that there is no American museum with displays like these! The Austrian history is very interesting. I am looking into the Poles who lived in Austrian territory.

Nice photos - thanks. I remember the Borgward was dug up at the site of a train station. NH

?

I'm glad this got bumped to the top.

Thank you Sir for the fine pic's of a beautiful museum.

Semper Fi
    Phil

beautiful, i enjoyed this post a great lot.... Vielen Dank aus Mexiko..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast