Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Bastogne/Arnhem

Article about: Hi guys, From September 1st - 8th I am going to be going (by train) from Berlin to Home, stopping in Holland, Bastogne and Paris. That's the plan anyway. I'll be coming off the back of 7 wee

Default Bastogne/Arnhem

Hi guys,

From September 1st - 8th I am going to be going (by train) from Berlin to Home, stopping in Holland, Bastogne and Paris. That's the plan anyway. I'll be coming off the back of 7 weeks backpacking in Asia so this may (definitely) have been a bit optimistic, but the tickets are bought so there is no going back now!

I was hoping that someone would be able to help me with the Bastogne and Holland part, i'm looking to do the 101st site-seeing (my absolute priority is to see the foxholes in Foy, pretty much the reason for the entire trip).

Things i'm looking to get some advice on are:
    - getting to Bastogne by public transport (no train station)
    - how far Foy is from Bastogne (walkable?)
    - the most definitive 101st Airborne part of Holland (Eindhoven/Arnhem?)
    - best train station or transport route for both
    - places to see/stay/eat/etc

I'm on a budget of £50 a day and i'll be there roughly a day and a half per stop.

If anyone could help in any way, big or small, I would appreciate it greatly!

Thanks guys,

John

Default Re: Bastogne/Arnhem

oh and also the house with the Easy Company bullet holes in!

According to google maps, Bastogne to Foy is only 5.9 Km, so I would say walkable. I have been to see the fox holes and to be honest it is pretty mind blowing. Just looking down into those pits the way they were 70 odd years ago. Also, be careful as I believe it is a popular hunting forest.

Quote by johnphillips View Post
    Hi guys,

From September 1st - 8th I am going to be going (by train) from Berlin to Home, stopping in Holland, Bastogne and Paris. That's the plan anyway. I'll be coming off the back of 7 weeks backpacking in Asia so this may (definitely) have been a bit optimistic, but the tickets are bought so there is no going back now!

I was hoping that someone would be able to help me with the Bastogne and Holland part, i'm looking to do the 101st site-seeing (my absolute priority is to see the foxholes in Foy, pretty much the reason for the entire trip).

Things i'm looking to get some advice on are:
    - getting to Bastogne by public transport (no train station)
    - how far Foy is from Bastogne (walkable?)
    - the most definitive 101st Airborne part of Holland (Eindhoven/Arnhem?)
    - best train station or transport route for both
    - places to see/stay/eat/etc

I'm on a budget of £50 a day and i'll be there roughly a day and a half per stop.

If anyone could help in any way, big or small, I would appreciate it greatly!

Thanks guys,

John
    That is a fantastic adventure.
    I wish you good luck mate.
    Cheers
    Nuno