Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The Battle of Britain Memorial London.

Article about: During a recent trip to London with Chris, we paid a visit to the Battle of Britain Memorial located on the Victoria Embankment directly opposite the London Eye. I thought it was an excellen

?

Default The Battle of Britain Memorial London.

During a recent trip to London with Chris, we paid a visit to the Battle of Britain Memorial located on the Victoria Embankment directly opposite the London Eye.

I thought it was an excellent tribute to all who fought in this battle and the 3D bronze relief scupltures captured every aspect of the struggle faced by all affected during this time.

You can see everything from families crouching in their air raid shelters, to the pilots resting between sorties, to the ground crew re-arming the aircraft to the Observer Corps to St Paul's Cathedral rising from the smoke during the blitz. So much detail and so many different things to see in such a small space.

All 2937 airmen who took part in the battle are listed on the bronze plaques which adorn the sides of the monument not covered by the relief plaques.

I'll let the photos tell the story.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Battle of Britain Memorial London.   The Battle of Britain Memorial London.  

The Battle of Britain Memorial London.   The Battle of Britain Memorial London.  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: The Battle of Britain Memorial London.

Superb memorial, I hope to see the Bomber Command Memorial this year

It was touching to see, but also heartbreaking. The eyes of the soldiers were very lively but at the same time haunting.
    I will never forget that.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

A hell of a lot of work has gone into that!.....

The large Pilots head on the right hand side is quite stunning, the look on his face !! Bravo to the sculptor !!

?

And a few more......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Battle of Britain Memorial London.   The Battle of Britain Memorial London.  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Incredible detail, has blown me away for want of a better expression, a must see when I am down there next !

Seeing it in detail will surely blow you away.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

I am off work next week, if I can get a cheap train ticket down, I am off for the day !!