Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Battle of Crete Holiday 2012

Article about: An excellent thread Ben keep it coming!! Could be a plan for a holiday!! hot for the Missus & guns for me!! Cheers Terry.

Default Re: Battle of Crete Holiday 2012

This is the mouth of Souda Bay, even now there is a military installation at it, in the war it was probably defended to the hilt by either side
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle of Crete Holiday 2012   Battle of Crete Holiday 2012  

Ben

We then went back to Hill 107 Cafe and bingo, it was open, what a place lol I could not take pics inside (apart from one taken before I was told) but outside is amazing. Junkers wing parts, glider frames, machine guns. Inside there is equipment, weapons, helmets, para helmets, pouches you name it. Whilst I was there drinking a Frappe I met this Czech guy who spoke a bit a German so I asked him about the SS trousers he was wearing, all the kit he was wearing was original. So I asked to see his belt buckle which I collect and it was a Czech fake! So you other guys can you tell from the pics if his other gear is good or not!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle of Crete Holiday 2012  
    Ben

Cool thread, Ben!!!

The outside
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle of Crete Holiday 2012   Battle of Crete Holiday 2012  

Battle of Crete Holiday 2012   Battle of Crete Holiday 2012  

Ben

Outside 2

Ben

Outside 2

Ben

One glimpse of inside
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle of Crete Holiday 2012  
    Ben

These are great, thanks Ben!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

A superb thread Ben, not a battle I have studied much, but will do now

Thanks

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Ben, these are amazing photos, thanks so much for posting them. The Ju52 wing sections are just incredible to see! I have read so much on the invasion of Crete and the Australian involvement because I had family serving there, it just brings everything to life. I have a terrific book published by the Australian War Memorial in which it describes two hills with a shallow valley in between, Australian troops on the top of both hills, were making eye contact with the German pilots and firing bren guns from either side through the aircraft as they passed through. Just incredible. Thanks again, Ben, these really are great photos and although I want to visit Crete I may never get there. Cheers mate, Dave.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast