Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Borodino & Mozhaisk

Article about: In another thread about Hilter's Summer Tunic, I mentioned having pictures that I took at the Central Armed Forces Museum in Moscow back in the summer of 2001. While checking my computer her

?

Default Borodino & Mozhaisk

In another thread about Hilter's Summer Tunic, I mentioned having pictures that I took at the Central Armed Forces Museum in Moscow back in the summer of 2001. While checking my computer here at work to see if they might be on it, I found some pictures I took at Borodino & Moshaisk, also in the summer of 2001.
    In addition to the major battle between the Russians and Napolean's army in 1812, Borodino & Moshaisk was also the site of some bitter fighting between the Germans and the Soviets in 1941.
    The following pictures are of some bunkers and a tank memorial at Borodino and some of the Mozhaisk countryside.
    Sorry for the poor quality but digital technology was not the same in 2001. I was using one of the original Sony Mavica cameras that used 3 1/2" floppys for storing photos.

Best Regards,
    Mike

P.S. If I remember what little Russian I know, the slogan on the T-34 says "For Motherland" "For Stalin"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Borodino & Mozhaisk   Borodino & Mozhaisk  

Borodino & Mozhaisk   Borodino & Mozhaisk  

?

Default Re: Borodino & Mozhaisk

Great photos i've never seen this area before , thanks for posting, much blood has been shed over the centuries in thse fields.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Here's a few more photos. The man at the entrance to the bunker is a co-worker of mine. They wanted me to crawl in it but I didn't have a flashlight (torch). I figured if Russian teenagers are like American teenagers, it would be full of used condoms (can I say that on this sight?) and broken beer bottles. I didn't want to crawl through that in the dark on my hands & knees!

Best Regards,
    Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Borodino & Mozhaisk   Borodino & Mozhaisk  

Borodino & Mozhaisk  

?

Here's a map showing the battle for Moscow. You can see Mozhaisk & Borodino are along the main road from the west to Moscow.

Best Regards,
    Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Borodino & Mozhaisk