Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brest Fortress, as it is now.

Article about: but Hitler (having been the victim of gas in WWI) refused to allow it to be used. Very touching

Default Brest Fortress, as it is now.

Tovarischi;

Below are a set of pictures of the Brest Fortress complex, as it is now. Part of the untold story of what happened to the complex after the end of the GPW is that unfortunately, the complex was used by the local Soviet government as a municipal trash dump, including using some of the galleries for toxic waste storage.

Boridin

Schematic of the complex as designed:

A photo taken from a dirigible of the construction of the Brest Fortress complex.

The camp for the archeology team.

The ramparts, and casements:

Default Re: Brest Fortress, as it is now.

These are the tunnels, and galleries:

One of the entrances that has been covered:

Damage to the roof of one of the galleries, that allows access:

Damage to the roof supports. Supports added by Soviets for GPW era service.

Barracks gallery:

Gun port cover from inside:

Ammunition gallery:

Roof supports for ammunition gallery:

Armored door to ammo bunker:

A different ammo storage bunker:

Access to observation cupola (ladder removed):

Steel cover over cupola opening:

A third ammo bunker gallery:

The external portions as being excavated currently. Note the garbage/trash in the surrounding dirt:

Entrance to the damaged gallery:

Another gallery entrance:

Thank you for sharing these pics, very interesting. Was anything found in there or was it empty? Thanks again, John

Quote by johnhmcgary View Post
    Thank you for sharing these pics, very interesting. Was anything found in there or was it empty? Thanks again, John
    I don't know. Nothing was mentioned in the story, except about the one gallery being filled with barrels of toxic waste. Other than that, no mention was made of complex contents.

However, if I were to take a guess, I would say that nothing was found, as the Red Army probably cleaned out all the weapons, etc, before the complex was turned over to the local Soviet. Who then turned around and used it as a trash dump.

Boridin

Tovarischi;

Based on additional information, from an alternate source, this is apparently NOT the fortress complex at Brest. Where it really is, I do not know. This set of photos was mis-identified as Brest Fortress on a Russian website.

I apologize to all of you for the incorrect information, however, it is clearly some sort of fortification complex, so take that for what it is worth.

Boridin

ww2fotos
    ?

Quote by RedHorseman25 View Post
    Tovarischi;

Based on additional information, from an alternate source, this is apparently NOT the fortress complex at Brest. Where it really is, I do not know. This set of photos was mis-identified as Brest Fortress on a Russian website.

I apologize to all of you for the incorrect information, however, it is clearly some sort of fortification complex, so take that for what it is worth.

Boridin
    That would explain the Russian sign with 1912-1915 on it.

Based on additional, additional info, this IS part of the Brest Fortress complex. It is not the main fortress, it is one of the outlying perimeter defense complexes, that was not initially attacked during the opening days of Barbarossa, but was surrounded, and pounded into submission in early July. This is supposedly the last section of the complex to remain in Red Army hands, and it held out so long that it was even considered for a chemical weapons attack, but Hitler (having been the victim of gas in WWI) refused to allow it to be used.

Boridin

Quote by RedHorseman25 View Post
    Tovarischi;

Boridin

Hello, I have a photo album from the environment of the commander.
    all very good pictures of a nobleman.
    There are also military aerial photography available

but it is a pilgrimage

[url=http://www.brest-fortress.by/] More fotos and informations about brest-fortress

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast