Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cosham (Portsmouth UK) 1940 Then & Now

Article about: I work in Cosham and recently discovered a couple of period photo's showing bomb damaged buildings that are still stand today and all with in 5 mins walk from the Office I work in. So I thou

Default Re: Cosham (Portsmouth UK) 1940 Then & Now

Hi Bernard,
    Thanks for your comments, it was a couple of years ago since I did this thread, but you seem to know the area very well. I actually got the address from a period newspaper article I think it was published by the Portsmouth Evening Echo after the raid. Obviously at that time they could have made a mistake with so many bombed buildings. I walked the street to check but also thought that it looked the most like the original, obviously when rebuilt its likely certain features may have been changed.
    If you are local then please could you post a picture of the House that you think is the one that was bombed, it would be nice to see.
    Thanks cornishboy I always think the 'Now and Then' picture format brings history to life, you can almost reach out and touch it.
    Best Wishes
    LUCKYSTRIKE

bernardchalls
    ?

I didnt want to take a picture of someone elses house without their permission but I am 90% sure that it is no 19. There are 3 reasons, the general configuration, The shape of the glass in the door and the brick arch. Only 1 house, no 19 meets all 3 requirements.

?

Very interesting and thanks for showing us. I live in Chichester just up the rd and still have lots of family in Portsmouth. There must still be heaps of unexploded nasties all round this area!

Thanks Bernard for your help, next time Im in the area I'll take a look.
    I agree lew07 the area and particularily the soft mud of the harbour must be full of unexploded nasties.
    All the best
    LUCKYSTRIKE

aladinvein
    ?

Interesting thread. I've just had a look with Google Street view and no 19 looks like the one (and I didn't have to get permission to take a picture or leave the comfort of my chair! lol)

lou
    ?

I was just browsing when i came across these threads its very interesting my 13 year old loves history and will find this just as interesting/ the house that you are talking about no 19 is that portsmouth road cosham, if so that is where i live it is now 3 flats and is owned by pha i am trying to find the history of it but not sure where to look.

lou
    ?

i give my permission if you wish to take a photo of my house and will inform my neighbours who i know will not have a problem with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2