MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Crete Holiday 2013

Article about: The SS dagger appears to be original...looking through reflected glass but close enough to see some detail......the center ramp has been worked on. Great Thread Ben!! would be nice to see so

Default Re: Crete Holiday 2013

The SS dagger appears to be original...looking through reflected glass but close enough to see some detail......the center ramp has been worked on. Great Thread Ben!!

would be nice to see some photos of the dark haired Female clientele.......
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Cheers Larry, SS in Crete! I wonder what they were doing!
    Ben

?

Great photos Ben , what a nice museum to visit , it seems to have a very down to earth atmosphere and jam packed with artifacts . Glad you had a great trip
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Ben - Cant say enough great job on the pictures and the history lesson, many thanks. Although I spent a few weeks on Crete I missed these places as I did have to work. I spent my free time enjoying the beautiful waters surrounding the island as the temp,s were in the 40C area also enjoying the great food, wine and as you said Raki. The thing I also remember is landing on the Crete airport very close to the sea

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Where were you staying Horst?
    Ben

?

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Where were you staying Horst?
    Ben - I was at the US base near Heraklion as a civilian working with the Dept of defense.We were living not far from the base right on the water in a beautiful hotel.
    Just wanted to add that the locals that we worked with were great ,they took us to some out of the way places in the hinterland for great food,drink and good times.
    Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Awesome thread once again Ben. Thanks for sharing. You had some nice time. I must do this trip my self as well.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Quote by Horst View Post
    Ben - I was at the US base near Heraklion as a civilian working with the Dept of defense.We were living not far from the base right on the water in a beautiful hotel.
    Just wanted to add that the locals that we worked with were great ,they took us to some out of the way places in the hinterland for great food,drink and good times.
    Horst
    Cheers Horst, not been down that far yet but I intend to

- - Updated - -

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    Awesome thread once again Ben. Thanks for sharing. You had some nice time. I must do this trip my self as well.
    Well worth it Chris, fantastic place
    Ben

?

Great thread Ben !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hello buddy!!! I see you did well in Crete! So let me start commenting...

First of all i see that the Askifou Museum has been redecorated and most if not all items have changed locations. A perfect reason to revisit it!

The SS dagger is a repro as he has been donated many items from visitors from allaround the world and he lacks the knowledge to tell a good repro from an original.

The Stuka prop isn't really a Stuka prop as the Ju87 Stuka had wooden prop and not aluminium.

The para helmet is most likely post war perainted.

That's for the Askifou Museum.
    (you didn't had to eat Mousaka at the tavern as this food is very common in every Greek town-village, since you visited Crete you should try Gamopilafo, Antikristo, Koukouvagia or Tsigariasto. Some food ideas for your next visit!)

Now for the Kontomari wall plague, i will try and make a rough translation so here it goes:
    1st plaque --> Eternal memory to those who spilt their blood here in Kontomari, executed by the barbarian conquerors at the 2nd of June 1941.

2nd plaque --> Eternal memory to those from Kontomari Kidonias (local town name) cowardly executed by the barbaric and bloodthirsty conqueror at the 2nd of June 1941.

Then on both plagues the names of the executed follow.

There is no love for the FJ memorial. That is true... The wounds and memories of the atrocities the germans commited in Crete are still present. So the memorial had suffered a lot of vandalism. The owner of the nearby house has his dog coming halfway to the stairs because he thinks that if a person tries to visit the memorial is a German sympathiser.

Floria memorial translation: (post #46)
    Midle memorial (with the cross) : Honor and glory to the brave defenders of our Country, fallen in the battle of Floria and Agrimokefales against German intruders at the 23rd of May 1941.

Right hand memorial: Fallen during the war for our Country ... It has the names of two soldiers that died in Albania.

Left hand memorial: First plaque : 'Executed by the Nazis locals of the Floria village during WW2' and second plaque: ' executed within the Floria village locals of the Palaion Roumaton municipality by the Nazis at the 15/9/1944'.

First plaque in post #47:
    Those who think of the dead want peace
    For the maintenance of the memorial work together:
    -Municipality of Floria
    -Union of Mountain Troops of Ano Fraggonia (i don't know what this is... "Ano Fraggonia"???!!!!)
    ~Floria... A place of friendship~

This is the end of my super-hyper-extra large post but i was more than thrilled to see that much of interest in my island!

PS. the button surely is a gift from your ancestor!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast