Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Crete Holiday September

Article about: Hi guys, thinking of booking a holiday to Crete, Maleme for me and the wife, as a break and to see the WW2 sites i know there's the German War cemetery and allied would like to see both, is

yeah im thinking of booking a hotel and just having a break and a nice look around not to far as only going to go for 7-10 days
    Louis Creta Princess Beach Hotel (Maleme, Crete) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor
    this hotel seems to be the best around there not bad on price also, i think its a bit cheaper because its the quiet side of the island

?

Was in Crete late July early August (2nd time).

Find it odd that they make so little of the war history. I made it to the war museum (private) and it was a pleasant hour but the owners English is VERY limited. Hora is just down the road and a lovely port with a memorial. Otherwise I think you have to really read up or get a guide. None of the locals I spoke to knew anything really other than the Germans came by parachute. Seemed to be no knowledge of the massacres (so hugely different to ,say, oradour sur glane) or the actions by resistance.

Quote by Pumayf View Post

Find it odd that they make so little of the war history. I made it to the war museum (private) and it was a pleasant hour but the owners English is VERY limited. Hora is just down the road and a lovely port with a memorial. Otherwise I think you have to really read up or get a guide. None of the locals I spoke to knew anything really other than the Germans came by parachute. Seemed to be no knowledge of the massacres (so hugely different to ,say, oradour sur glane) or the actions by resistance.
    I was there a couple of years ago, Hora is indeed a lovely place

Perhaps the Cretans do not wish to remember it, was it a fun and happy time for them ???

?

Looks like a very nice looking hotel Ironcross. It should be a great vacation if you find any history there or not.
    Of course pic posted here of the beautiful women you meet there would also add to your reputation rating.
    Just saying
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by HistoryMan View Post

Perhaps the Cretans do not wish to remember it, was it a fun and happy time for them ???
    Not so happy time i would say.there was blood and little food.hunger and death

Quote by Pumayf View Post

Hmm thats interesting they dont know much about it.
    is there any places you would recommend going there? near Maleme

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Looks like a very nice looking hotel Ironcross. It should be a great vacation if you find any history there or not.
    Of course pic posted here of the beautiful women you meet there would also add to your reputation rating.
    Just saying
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Haha dont think my Wife will like that lol.

but im going to go in may now for a nice holiday and break

?

Quote by HistoryMan View Post

Kinda like the rest of Europe then?

Hi IC,
    A friend of mine has a small self catering holiday apartment that he hires out just south of Malame Airfield, he is ex forces and will take you on a Battlefield tour if you require, he is very knowledgeable on the Battle of Crete, he has a great reputation on trip advisor!

Arete Self-Catering Apartments - Holiday Rental in Chania Town - TripAdvisor

Regards

Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3