Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Crete War Museum

Article about: Hi all!!! I would like to show you all a magnificent war Museum from the Battle of Crete! It is located at an isolted village in mt. Psiloritis. The village's name is Askifou in Chania regio

Default Re: Crete War Museum

Great museum.Know it from facebook.some day i want to go to Crete

Default Crete War Museum

Does he know the exact location? If not i can give you guidelines! When you visit you will be amazed! I've showed you only the most impresive pictures ignoring many items that are not photographed right! Askifou is 50klm from Chania..

I made you a poor map of the area so you and your friend have an idea of where the village is according with other famous locations!
    Plus i encircled some intresting WW2 locations for your visit!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Crete War Museum  

He started his collection maybe during the war but surely right after it finished!

Why can't i see your post? It is a blank text box what i see...

Mike, he knows it well and actually told me about the place last year but we did not get round to going there, this year I will be going for sure lol

Many thanks

Ben
    Ben

?

Thanks must go to Mr. Chatzidakis.who probably saved it all from the scrapyard !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Very nice museum. If the FJ camo helmet is real then it is the find of a lifetime.
    Thanks for sharing Mike.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

The FJ helmet is painted over rust, it is near a Swiss mess tin.

It was a common action for the after-war period to gather relics of the war... The main reason (as my grandfather did) was to sell everything for a piece of bread or flour! Thus someone could very easy gather a mountain from everything for a few drops of food! My grandfather used to go to the same canyon with 3 mules. He then placed as many items as the mules couls carry and he was returning back to his village in order to trade mainly weapons for food. Mr. Chatzidakis did the same thing but instead of trading everything he kept them for himself! Major mistake for my grandfather... He only kept a P08 Luger pistol and a Mannlicher that his wife threw in the ocean to prevent their children from getting killed!

Indeed i've heard many stories about the authenticity of the FJ helmet's camo... The owner says it is real but collectors say it isn't! I think it is re-painted! You can see the rust under the colors around one of the bullet holes it has!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast