MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Danish Resistance Museum, Copenhagen, January 19, 2012.

Article about: This book is a must read for anyone interested in the Scandinavian contribution! Our friend Paul had some input into this book too Nick

Default Danish Resistance Museum, Copenhagen, January 19, 2012.

Today I went to Copenhagen to see the Danish Resistance Museum, certainly an interesting place. I brought my camera

It will take a little while for me to get all the photos uploaded.

In the meantime, here is the website:

Nationalmuseet - Resistance Museum
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Default Re: Danish Resistance Museum, Copenhagen, January 19, 2012.

A Danish Madsen 20 mm gun.
    Czech Infantry 37 mm. gun.
    Membership card and pistol belonging to Danish Nazi-leader Fritz Clausen.
    Letter signed by Himmler.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Danish Resistance Museum, Copenhagen, January 19, 2012.   Danish Resistance Museum, Copenhagen, January 19, 2012.  

Danish Resistance Museum, Copenhagen, January 19, 2012.   Danish Resistance Museum, Copenhagen, January 19, 2012.  

Last edited by Little Mermaid; 01-19-2012 at 11:41 PM.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Various displays and an anti-aircraft gun thing.
    Illegal press room.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Danish Resistance Museum, Copenhagen, January 19, 2012.   Danish Resistance Museum, Copenhagen, January 19, 2012.  

Danish Resistance Museum, Copenhagen, January 19, 2012.   Danish Resistance Museum, Copenhagen, January 19, 2012.  

Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Various displays. Sorry for the bad lighting.

The yellow/red thingy is actually a bicycle trailer in which people transported contraband pork.

Last edited by Little Mermaid; 01-19-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Photos of and paperwork belonging to Werner Best.
    Close-up photo is of Werner Best and SS General Günther Pancke. The other photo I am not sure of.

The Nazi state and World War II

Best joined the NSDAP with member number 341,338. He went on to join the SS with membership number, 23,377.[1] Prior to September 1939, as an SS-Brigadeführer, Best while head of Department 1 of the Gestapo oversaw organization, administration, and legal affairs.[2] He was a deputy of Reinhard Heydrich. In September 1939 the security and police agencies of Nazi Germany were consolidated into Reich Main Security Office (Reichssicherheitshauptamt or RSHA), headed by Heydrich.[3] Best was made head of Amt I (Department I) of the RSHA: Personnel. That department dealt with the legal and personnel issues/matters of the SS and security police.[4] Heydrich and Heinrich Himmler relied on Best to develop and explain legally the activities against enemies of the state and in relation to the Nazi Jewish policy. In 1939 Best became one of the directors of Heydrich's foundation, the Stiftung Nordhav.

According to one source [5] Werner Best lost a power struggle in 1939, and had to leave Berlin, thereafter. In 1940, with the military grade of War Administration Chief (Kriegsverwaltungschef), Best was appointed chief of the Section "Administration" (Abteilung Verwaltung) of the Administration Staff (Verwaltungsstab, Dr Schmid) under then (Militärbefehlshaber in Frankreich or MBF) "Military Commander in France", general Otto von Stülpnagel) in occupied France; a position Best kept until 1942.[6]

In his efforts as the RSHA emissary in France, Best's unit drew up radical plans for a total reorganization of Western Europe based on racial principles: he sought to unite Netherlands, Flanders and French territory north of the Loire river into the Reich, turn Wallonia and Brittany into German protectorates, merge Northern Ireland with the Republic of Ireland, create a decentralized British federation and break the Spanish State into independent entities of Galicia, Basque Country and Catalonia.[7]

In November 1942 after the Telegram Crisis, Best was appointed the Third Reich's Plenipotentiary (Reichsbevollmächtigter) in Denmark. He was accredited to King Christian X, who, unlike most Heads of state under Nazi German occupation, remained in power, along with the Danish Parliament, cabinet (a coalition of national unity) and courts.

In this role, Best supervised civilian affairs in occupied Denmark. He kept his position until the end of the war in May 1945, even after the German military commander had assumed direct control over the administration of Denmark on 29 August 1943.

Best hoped to maintain good relations between Germany and Denmark in order to make Denmark an example of what life in Nazi Europe could be. As a result conditions were better in Denmark, by comparison with conditions in other areas occupied by Germany. Best was unenthusiastic about taking punitive measures against Jews until after the fall of the Danish government.

Danish Resistance Museum, Copenhagen, January 19, 2012.  
    Last edited by Little Mermaid; 01-20-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Here is, among what appears to be armbands, a Luftwaffe grouping found somewhere in Denmark left behind by a soldier. The letter is to a young soldier - from the father of the girl that this soldier got pregnant.

Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Wow....Very fascinating stuff, Christina! Looks like a great place to visit and spend the day, for sure! Thanks for posting the photos! They came out great. Don't know about that Himmler signature, though...it Could be Fake...just kidding! lol William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Guns and bits and bots, and an interesting "office".

Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Its a great museum, but if you are in denmark visit us at "Silkeborg Bunker museum" chek out our webside.
    Velkommen til Silkeborg Bunkermuseum

Is this museum new? It's funny we have never heard of it before! A Very interesting lot! I could picture you visiting this museum and thinking "Man! Give me 10 minutes and a big bag..." lol William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast