Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A day at the museum

Article about: I just returned from a short overnight trip to Munich, which included a visit to the Deutsches Museum (see Deutsches Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a little info). (Come to th

Default Re: A day at the museum

A trio of late-war aircraft, all created in 1944 and foreshadowing the future of warfare. Here are a Messerschmitt Me 262 jet fighter, a Messerschmitt Me 163 B "Komet" [= comet] rocket-powered interceptor and a Fieseler Fi 103 cruise missile, better known as the V 1.

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

The french used quite a few ex Luftwaffe aircraft in the late 40s Glenn, FW190s, JU 88 and 188s to name a few, i'm not sure how many types they actually manufactured though.

Some details of the A4 / V2 ballistic missile. Displayed in a stairwell and stretching over several stories, it is not possible to photograph it in whole:

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

Excellent photos. Museum looks very void of people. Makes it much more enjoyable.

Wow, these are great pictures, I wish I'd known about this when I was in Munich all those years ago, I'm really sorry that I missed this. Thank you for sharing

Great pictures. I visited The Aviation Museum in Krakow and it was superb. It houses Hermann Goering's personal plane collection, which were originally housed their for safe keeping in WW2 but i understand now the German Government wants them back. Certainly worth a visit!

Speaking of rockets and such, here is a Rheintochter surface-to-air missile and its neighbor at the museum, the rocket-powered, missile-armed short-range interceptor Bachem Ba 349 "Natter" [= adder / viper], the latter an absolutely deadly weapons system. (At least for the pilot, at the sole manned test-flight.) The engine section was to be separated from the disposable front section, land by parachute and be re-used after recovery. Hence the notice on the tailfin, which translates as "If found, report to commandant's office, military training grounds Heuberg. Phone: Stetten am kalten Markt 222. Reward!"

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

We're almost at the end now. One more thing: A Focke-Achgelis Fa 330 "Bachstelze" [= wagtail] rotor kite, designed to be towed behind a surfaced submarine to provide a lookout with better observation possibilites. Call me a coward, but I would not have wanted to go up in that contraption.

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

A day at the museum

Looks like something out of the Road Warrior.

Special thanks to Von Braun the "Father of Rocket Science".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast