Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A day at the museum

Article about: I just returned from a short overnight trip to Munich, which included a visit to the Deutsches Museum (see Deutsches Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a little info). (Come to th

Default Re: A day at the museum

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    It is a great museum and the displays look great and as I remember them with a fading memory from when I visited there in 1985. I seem to remember there was a giant salt mine display and lots of other items. A good day out is what I remember.
    Indeed. The subterranean mine display with its life-sized recreations of mining techniques through the decades is another main attraction and quite impressive.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Excellent photos. Museum looks very void of people. Makes it much more enjoyable.
    Absolutely. A Monday morning is ideally suited to go to museums!

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    The french used quite a few ex Luftwaffe aircraft in the late 40s Glenn, FW190s, JU 88 and 188s to name a few, i'm not sure how many types they actually manufactured though.
    Here you go Gunny !

France - NC.900 [2]
    In the immediate post-war period, the French Armee de l'Air operated FW 190 fighters (French designation NC.900). 65 FW 190s were built in 1945 and 1946 by the Société Nationale de Construction Aéronautiques du Centre (S.N.C.A.C) at Cravant. Between 600 and 900 people worked at Cravant, and the facility was also known as camp 918. Cravant had been a Luftwaffe repair facility, and 127 FW 190 fuselages and 162 wings of FW 190 A-4s, A-5s, and A-8s were captured there by the Allies in October 1944. About 100 BMW 801s were found at Dordogne, and the French planned to assemble 125, under the designation AACr-6, or NC.900. The first NC.900 was flown on 1 March 1945, but there were many problems with the new aircraft. Sabotaged airframe parts and the use of hastily recycled metals meant many aircraft were of poor quality. Armee de l'Air FW 190s only saw service for a few years, before more modern fighters were acquired. The principal operator of the NC.900 was GC 111/5 Normandie Niemen, which received just fourteen NC.900s. They flew with the unit for 18 months. A majority of the remaining 51 NC.900s were used by the CEV (centre d'essais en vol) at Brétigny. The final flight by a French NC.900 was on 22 June 1949.

A fascinating museum and one which is now very much on my must visit list!

Thanks for the super pics Andreas

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Very nice museum indeed.

One of the FW 190 in the Musée de l'Air

I really like seeing pictures of some of these museums. Someday, if and when I get a chance to come over I would like to see all these pieces of history.
    Thanks for sharing.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

part of a Zeppelin

?

Very cool, thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    John

Magnificent exhibits in both museums. It would be nice to have them in 2 separate threads though.
    Thanks for sharing guys.
    Andreas it looks that you had a great day my friend. I also like the inspired title from the known movie ''A night at the museum''
    Cheers
    Last edited by don_kihotis7; 02-27-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast