Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Dieppe Trip

Article about: After my recent trip to Dunkirk last month for the 75th Anniversary, I have now got itchy feet and am looking forward to a trip to Dieppe. I am off work for a week the end of the month so I

Sorry mate,i missed your post,really a shame.
    I was born in Dieppe,raised in Varengeville sur Mer.....Could have replied to your questions,indeed...
    I made a thread about the remains of August 42

Dieppe 1942: parts of HMS Berckeley

Hi

Not to worry, I managed to find my way around to most of the sites although missed Orange Beach 2 and also the No3 Commando memorial at Benerval sur Mer, I was so flustered with the heat and all the walking I was doing, I miss read the instructions I had and ran out of time. I may be going back again next month so will catch up with those.

I drove through Varengeville se mur
    I will check your thread out now

Cheers

From Berneval over to Orange Beach 2 where Lord Lovat and No4 Commando landed at Quibberville/Sainte-Marguerite-sur-Mer beach exactly at Zero Hour.
    In the pictures can be seen the small cliffs where Lieutenant Vasey's A Troop used their aluminium ladders to scale the cliffs and attack the 2 machine gun positions.
    Also can be seen the monument to No4 commando located where they landed and forced their way through the 15 feet of coiled barbed wire
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dieppe Trip   Dieppe Trip  

Dieppe Trip   Dieppe Trip  

Then it was off to Green Beach about 3 miles east at Pourville where the South Saskatchewan Regiment ( SSR ) landed later at roughly 04:50hrs, and also arriving late, the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders on 19th August 1942.
    In the pictures can be seen the view up the western headland towards the RDF station
    Also can be seen the bridge over the River Scie which caused so many problems to the SSR's and where their CO Lieutenant Colonel Cecil Merrit was awarded the 1st Canadian VC of WW2. Also in the distance above the bridge in the distance can be seen Four Winds Farm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dieppe Trip   Dieppe Trip  

Then it was off to Blue beach at Puys about 1.5 miles east of the main beaches at Dieppe. The Royal Regiment of Canada landed here

There is quite a nice memorial here with a very poignant inscription, its quite moving to stand there and read it actually

Thanks for looking

Thought I would post a few more picture's

No3 Commando memorial at Berneval/Saint Martin, also a few pictures of the beach and gully where they landed, Yellow Beach 1.

Cheers for looking

Dieppe Trip  
    Last edited by HistoryMan; 08-31-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Yellow Beach 2, Berneval le Grand, The Goebbels Battery, Dieppe
    ........did make me think how fit the Commando's must have been at the time.

Thanks for looking, more to follow this week if interested
    Cheers
    ....did make me think how fit the Commando's must have been at the time....
    Ho, yeah! I was there more then a week ago, and found the spot just by coincidence, and went down hill on foot!
    Had to climb up again after that....and I am not the commando, I used to be ...anymore....
    I took the GPS coordinates if anyone wants them, because I will go back any time I am in the neighbourghood.
    It was incredibly warm and crowdy the day I was there.
    I am showing the same spot from above (a death end street );

Dieppe Trip  
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

No 4 Commando memorial at Quibervile/Saint Marguerite, Orange Beach 2, and also pictures of the beach and gully at Vasterival, Orange Beach 2, Varengerville ( Hess Battery )

Cheers

Dieppe Trip  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2