Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Digging a WW2 stopline in Wales

Article about: A rare chance to excavate two slots across the WWII stopline in Carmarthenshire. One slot was hand dug to the maximum safe working depth of 1.2 m. This gave us its width of 5.5 m, but not th

There are a lot more elements of the stopline near me, pill boxes next to the bridges at Lampeter, Cardigan, Maesycrugiau, also pill boxes and dragons teeth near storey arms, Brecon and a lot more that I have yet to look for or have seen/noticed.

I think the shooters hill stopline was part dug on an episode of time team.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Am I right in thinking that in 1939/40, there was a real fear that Germany may try and use Nazi sympathetic Southern Ireland as a stepping stone into the mainland UK, hence the defences in Wales ? There were lots of troops deployed in N.Ireland, the Home Defence Force, should it become a real threat. They were also there to subdue the IRA somewhat, who had taken advantage of the situation ?..

?

i've just been working in north norfolk, bacton, north walsham, all around that area there are some cracking preserved pill boxes,, i'm kicking myself now i never took photo's,,

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Am I right in thinking that in 1939/40, there was a real fear that Germany may try and use Nazi sympathetic Southern Ireland as a stepping stone into the mainland UK, hence the defences in Wales ? There were lots of troops deployed in N.Ireland, the Home Defence Force, should it become a real threat. They were also there to subdue the IRA somewhat, who had taken advantage of the situation ?..
    There was a real fear that the Southern Irish would help the Nazis's invade the UK, but thankfully nothing came of that fear in the end.

Sadly a lot of the WWII defences have yet to be as fully protected as those from earlier periods. Hopefully things are getting better, but only recently I was at Aberdovey and a number of pillboxes there are falling into the sea, whilst just this weekend I visited a really good WWII gun emplacement defending Milford Haven which is used by local youths as a party zone. Remains of fires inside it and T light candles every where, empty tinnies etc..... Its not too bad as it is a long walk from the nearest civilisation but if it is allowed to decay who knows what it will end up like.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Digging a WW2 stopline in Wales   Digging a WW2 stopline in Wales  

Digging a WW2 stopline in Wales   Digging a WW2 stopline in Wales  

Regards,

Jerry

These places need to be preserved but I fear they wont be which is unfortunate
    It was great to see the defences at Black Rock, some were actually in people's back gardens !!

Another 1930's battery on the tip of the Dale headland on the entrance into Milford Haven, which is surrounded by fortifications of various periods.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Digging a WW2 stopline in Wales   Digging a WW2 stopline in Wales  

Regards,

Jerry

That looks quite an installation ! I am thinking Milford Haven was quite a strategic position in those days, did they have Coastal Command Sea planes based there. ??? I do know there is an interesting little place on the Menai Straits not far from Beaumaris where they used to fly in Catalina Sea Planes from Canada and then fit them out for RAF Coastal Command..

In this pic you can see an earlier fort -the west blockhouse- which is now a private home and is just below the battery at Dale/St Anne's head shown in the last set of pics, in which you could also see it.

there is another one to the West which is now a Field centre Dale Fort - FSC Dale Fort

I'll add pictures of more of the Forts as I get near to them over the next few weeks.

Regards,

Jerry

Excellent thread which should be turned into a sticky. There are the remains of what I presume were anti-aircraft battery platforms with their bunkers still intact below at Crosby beach near Liverpool. I'll take some pictures of them next time I'm up that way.

I have been working my way around the whole of Wales coast path and I often encounter WWII or earlier defensive structures.

Only last week on anglesey I saw two different coastal watch structures, one was quite interesting as it was built on brick stilts to raise it high enough to observe the sea. I had not seen one of this type previously. I also photographed one on Holy Island off anglesey of the more usual type.

I also photographed another of the more usual type near Llanbadrig again on Anglesey.

I have photographed many over the years.

Regards,

Jerry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3