MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Dinard/St Malo visit

Article about: Hi folks due to go over in April, a quick bit of research tells me St Malo was heavily bombed by the the US despite being occupied by only 70 German soldiers (not sure how true that is). Has

Thanks guys i can but try although the thought of live mines does give me the willies, it looks like the place that time forgot and took one hell of a beating.

?

you right.....a place forgotten by time

Hello i saw the island in the 60's very strange and quiet.

Sorry for the picture, no apn in this time.
    You can see the fort of St Malo.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Hello Greatwhite!

I am actualy from Saint Malo, and have been lurking on the island of Cézembre since I was a young Lad. Recovered few smaller relics (mainly buttons, mauser clips, casings, bottles of beer and even parts of paper). Although I must warn you, the control have been much more tighter on the restricted part of the Island lately (Military property), it is practically impossible to access it. April is not very optimal for visiting (or trying to) these parts since the island is home of a rather big population of seagulls and at that moment the eggs are etching. Be assured that mummy will try aggressively to drive you away...

Eventhough Cézembre is not accessible, you still have a lot to see, there is another restricted part that is quite nice to see: la pointe de la Varde (old Vauban fort that was heavily fortified by the Germans), a beautiful spot as well. It fairly easily accessible.

The local WW2 museum is definitely worth a visit, you should maybe start with this visit and then go for a tour on the old battlefields. It is located in the former HQ and heavily defended la Cité d'Aleth. The museum is a tiny portion of a massive underground network of tunnels and bunkers (unfortunately not accessible today). The story you brought up about the 70 Germans (80 actually) is linked to this. The local resistance informed the Allies that most of the Germans were entrenched in "la Cité" (Meaning la cité d'Aleth), but this word is quite close to the english "city", so the old city of Saint Malo was heavily bombed and roughly 80% of it destroyed. The German garrison in the old city was very small, the 80 soldiers we spoke of. Saint Malo is also the first time the Americans used Napalm.

Saint Malo was the most heavily fortified spot on the Atlantic wall but now many of the structures have been integrated in suburban estates, you still have a lot to see but you have to know where to look, I can recommend a few spots: la pointe du Grouin, near Cancale (and nearby la pointe de la barbe brûlée with a bunker with its 5 cm KWK still inside Canon de 5cm de la pointe de la barbe brûlée à Cancale (35)). In Dinard (or Saint Lunaire you have la pointe de la garde Guérin, with a few bunkers).

Enjoy Saint Malo, it is a nice city! Cheers

Sorry for delay guys (Grandad duties)
    This information from you all is brilliant it gives me an idea of were to start, i am there for 3 days and have to include a little shopping for the wife (10 mins should do), our hotel is in the port so an ideal place to start, i will get as many pictures as possible and i guess i wont bother the seagulls maybe later in the year could be better.
    Steve

Well made the visit really enjoyed it, beautiful place and very hard to imagine what happened there, i was not able to make the island visit no one was interested in taking us over which was fine with the wife, i did visit memorial 39-45 fort de la cite d`alet and will upload some pictures soon, first time i have been in a bunker it gives a great insight of how they functioned, around the old town you see what appear to be partial remnants of bunker/defense post.
    Thanks for all of your help guys, just to note if you like a tipple expect to pay around £6/8 for a beer.

A few pics here, in general an anti aircraft gun blown upside down , life within the bunker and stage sets of allied troops, the tour was in French which i got little pieces here and there.
    Dinard/St Malo visit
    Dinard/St Malo visit
    Dinard/St Malo visit
    Dinard/St Malo visit
    Dinard/St Malo visit
    Dinard/St Malo visit
    Dinard/St Malo visit
    Dinard/St Malo visit
    Dinard/St Malo visit

some more
    Dinard/St Malo visit
    Dinard/St Malo visit