Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Doughboy monument Meridian Mississippi

Article about: This statue was the focal point of old downtown Meridian Mississippi years ago. The doughboy statue was one of about 150 minted in the United States after World War One. It is one of my favo

Default Doughboy monument Meridian Mississippi

This statue was the focal point of old downtown Meridian Mississippi years ago. The doughboy statue was one of about 150 minted in the United States after World War One. It is one of my favorite monuments.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Doughboy monument Meridian Mississippi   Doughboy monument Meridian Mississippi  

Doughboy monument Meridian Mississippi   Doughboy monument Meridian Mississippi  

?

Default Re: Doughboy monument Meridian Mississippi

Did you know the only time in US military history when they were not under their own command was during one of the doughboys first actions attached to an Australian brigade

Interesting....does the US units under Montgomery count during the Battle of the Bulge? Or would they still be considered under Ike?

Thank you for the pictures ,this monument is well taking care of ,I like that.
    chris

?

In the bulge they were under US command

Quote by AMTG View Post
    In the bulge they were under US command
    Not the ones on the Northern flank. Monty managed to get these under his command for a while.

It is a nice memorial and I can see why you like it.

Actually the Art Deco building behind it caught my eye too as I like this style.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I suppose you can't always trust what's on official websites!!!

EMC - Eisenhower Stories -Eisenhower and Monty

I recall a TV interview and quote with one US staff officer : he said Monty walked into the US HQ "like Christ coming to cleanse the Temple". While Ike was tactically correct, Monty did gloat about it. General and egos and all that....

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Maybe I misread and it was the first time in US military history.....I know that Americans were attached to Australian units while they "acclimatized" to the western front

Montgomery tried to influence the largest western front battle like a good leader would do...but it was at a time where everyone had worn thin with each others personalities...and the Americans had effectively taken over the war with manpower and the stuff to fight it with...but everyone knew how long the British had been fighting and it was persuasive in the politics of the war. In the end the huge US casualties, the stubborn fight put up by the GI, and the crushing defeat placed on a powerful german force called Montgomery s hand in his "the trickiest situation I have ever handled" attempt to draw attention to himself actions...when at best he was a sideshow during the fighting