Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dresden

Article about: I guess this is the place to post these pics?

Default Dresden

I guess this is the place to post these pics?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dresden   Dresden  

Dresden  

?

Default Re: Dresden

The scale was about 250 000 killed civilians ...

There was a docu on BBC, the exact "scale" we will never no, because
    Dresden was full of refugees. After that bombing holocaust Mr Churchill
    was horrified and stopped Mr.Harrys. The plan to bomb germany to surrender went definatly wrong.

It's like a lot of these subjects...it is easy to be wise after the events. My grandmother was in Dresden at the time and has told me some pretty grim stories about scraping people up who were melted into the roads the next day and we had some heated discussions about " Bomber Harris " and she says he was a mass murderer...but then I remind her that her side were busy gassing children at the same time!!! so then it comes to change the subject time.. as to if Dresden shortened the war i am not sure but I don't think it lengthened it...

?

Benjamin Franklin said, "There was never a good war nor a bad peace." Ultimately, war is a futile exercise: Neither side gets what it wants. That is what is so fascinating about all of this, the irrationality of war and how people respond.

Quote by cgg91 View Post
    Benjamin Franklin said, "There was never a good war nor a bad peace." Ultimately, war is a futile exercise: Neither side gets what it wants. That is what is so fascinating about all of this, the irrationality of war and how people respond.
    To add a quote from George Washington "It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world". If we adhered to that wisdom,perhaps a lot of lives and $$$ would have been saved.

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

The thing that outrages me as a US citizen is that there were NO military targets in Dresden! They just bombed the hell out of it for the fun of it! I know a man who lived (one of the few) through the bombing. He has fotos like this on his mantle to remind himself - I guess.

?

I think this moral breaking thing did not work ...

?

I agree. After the conclusion of the Napoleonic wars, the new king of Sweden (Marshall Bernodatte of France), heeded the strategy recommended by Washington. Neutrality coupled with a citizen defense (compulsory military service followed by reserve status until 40's), much like Switzerland.
    Perhaps the controversy over the 2nd Ammendment would quiet down if we had a similar system. In addition, the focus would be on defense not offense. The possibility of a coup on the part of a few by using the standing military (current system) would diminish to practically zero. Another thing to think about, after WWII the War Department changed its title to 'Department of Defense'. If we were a neutral country with a reserve system and small regular army, the name would fit better. As it is, the DOD is essentially still the 'War Department'. We have been on a war footing since December 8, 1941. President Eisenhower recognized this, as have others. Fully 1/2 of the U.S. budget is given over to the military. What a waste.

Quote by cgg91 View Post
    I agree. After the conclusion of the Napoleonic wars, the new king of Sweden (Marshall Bernodatte of France), heeded the strategy recommended by Washington. Neutrality coupled with a citizen defense (compulsory military service followed by reserve status until 40's), much like Switzerland.
    Perhaps the controversy over the 2nd Ammendment would quiet down if we had a similar system. In addition, the focus would be on defense not offense. The possibility of a coup on the part of a few by using the standing military (current system) would diminish to practically zero. Another thing to think about, after WWII the War Department changed its title to 'Department of Defense'. If we were a neutral country with a reserve system and small regular army, the name would fit better. As it is, the DOD is essentially still the 'War Department'. We have been on a war footing since December 8, 1941. President Eisenhower recognized this, as have others. Fully 1/2 of the U.S. budget is given over to the military. What a waste.
    Great points cgg91! In addition,we should stop propping up foreign military armies. Quite a huge amount of tax payer money goes over seas. But then again,this is a collectors forum and it might not be a bad idea to keep politics etc. out of it regardless of our opinions. It's not too hard to get carried away.

?

May I humbly suggest reading Gen. Smedley Butler's (two time Congressional Medal of Honor receipient, WWI) book, 'War is a Racket' . Tends to put things in perspective.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast