Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

El Alamein declares war on WW2 land mines in new drive to attract tourists

Article about: There are tales of whole columns of tanks and other German and British armor along with the remains of the men that are still in almost pristine condition that appear and dissapear with the

Default El Alamein declares war on WW2 land mines in new drive to attract tourists

?

Default Re: El Alamein declares war on WW2 land mines in new drive to attract tourists

Ade great story I wonder what else is out there in the desert. Gary

?

Default Re: El Alamein declares war on WW2 land mines in new drive to attract tourists

I'd love to take my Grandad back to North Africa - but funds never allowed and now he's getting to frail. He was an SAC Instrument Mechanic over there with 229 Squadron, spent a lot of time on temporary strips just behind the front line in the desert. Picked up some nice items - I believe a dagger and a pistol amongst others but they were "Liberated" from his kitbag at some point between North Africa and England.. happened a lot apparently. Pity realy, I was brought up on his war stories, now he has the start of dementia and cancer of the oesophagus.

Hi Gary, there is certainly a lot of stuff still awaiting to be found, but the mines etc are the real problem. I hope to go there some day.

Hi Nibody, sorry to hear your Grandad is not well. Give him our regards. His story about souvenirs being "knicked" are typical.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks Ade. I have his medal group and a fair few period photos of the RAF in the western desert, will upload them when I get around to scanning them. If you ever get there I know there are a fair few aircraft wrecks along side the 8th army an Africa Corps leftovers. Also worth looking for caves near any of the Italian airfields if they havent been cleared out - I just hope the booby traps are gone - he said the Jerries were particularly fond of leaving something nice with a couple of grenades attached.

?

Few of Joes pics here.. including him playing pilot in a Spit, around 1942/1943
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture El Alamein declares war on WW2 land mines in new drive to attract tourists   El Alamein declares war on WW2 land mines in new drive to attract tourists  

El Alamein declares war on WW2 land mines in new drive to attract tourists   El Alamein declares war on WW2 land mines in new drive to attract tourists  

Cool article Ade, we seldom get info like that in the states. Great pictures Nibody! Joe did his part to beat the desert fox back. It has been so long ago now, when I see pictures like that, it looks like a movie set.

Take care,
    Jay

jh92
    ?

Wow great pics!

uboot96
    ?

Hi Ade. great story.thx. There is a great book on El Alamein i just read by Niall Barr "Pendulum of war" if any1 is interested.

Thx for the great picks Nibody.

regards, Andy.

I seam to remember being told on my bomb disposal course that Egypt was the most Heavily Mined country of the world. I've been in 2 mine fields, the first on purpose for recce and the second, by accident, not somthing I would want to do again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast