Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The End of Michael Wittmann

Article about: Visited here last week as part of my Villers-Bocage visit.....

Can any one do the following?

Put the knocked out picture of Wittmann 007 Tiger, over the pictures on the farm as a comparison?

I love the "Then and Now" comparisons and it would be great to see what the Tiger would look like if it was still there.

Also, Wittmans gunner Balthasar "Bobby" Woll survived the war due to his head injuries, suffered in a bombing raid.

Here he is in Darmstadt POW Camp..

(and no.. it isn't "Bobby Warmbrunn").
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The End of Michael Wittmann   The End of Michael Wittmann  

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    Can any one do the following?

Put the knocked out picture of Wittmann 007 Tiger, over the pictures on the farm as a comparison?

I love the "Then and Now" comparisons and it would be great to see what the Tiger would look like if it was still there.

Also, Wittmans gunner Balthasar "Bobby" Woll survived the war due to his head injuries, suffered in a bombing raid.

Here he is in Darmstadt POW Camp..

(and no.. it isn't "Bobby Warmbrunn").
    A new name perhaps? ..... no point walking about with a SS target on your back!!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Some body has got their "Bobby's" mixed up..

And yes, it is a very interesting thought

?

I was here last week , i visit at least three times a year Guiding a Panzers in Normandy Battlefield Tour . Please do not take Norm Christies biased and inaccurate documenteray as the answer as to who knocked Wittmann out and killed him , it is full of inaccuracies and false facts it's all smoke and mirrors , he has his produced it to fit in with his own interests ( selling DVD's ) and there is no actual evidence at all that the Canadians knocked out Wittmann .

He conveniently ignores the real evidence as it doesn't fit his Agenda and doesn't mention at all the eyewitness evidence from the German Troops including Wittmanns own men who were actually there at the time of the action as all those accounts show that the Tigers were taking " Anti Tank Gun fire " from the right , ie the direction where the Northants Yeomanry were and none mention fire from the left where the Canadians were supposed to be , this is of course supported by the only other real primary source evidence which is the Northants Yeo WD . If you study the German accounts it's clear that the Canadians had bigger things to worry about other than Wittmanns Panzer in particular 2 Tigers that were much closer to them .

I always present this action as a Whodunnit and have the passengers as the Court Jury actually examining the evidence that would stand up in court sufficient to get a conviction and none of what Christie does is actually evidence , even the Range of a Firefly and the distance over which Gordons Tank was firing are not correct !! The action cannot be viewed in isolation , a huge engagement was taking place involving other Units both Infantry and Armour some of whom were dug in in the fields where Wittmann was killed and saw what happened .

Martin is quite correct , whatever happened that day Wittmann made a huge tactical mistake and paid the price and no doubt the debate will run and run , but as Joe Ekins said based on the fact that until after 1983 no one on the Allied side had a clue who wittmann was anyway , " He was just another dead bloody German "

Regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul D View Post
    I was here last week , i visit at least three times a year Guiding a Panzers in Normandy Battlefield Tour . Please do not take Norm Christies biased and inaccurate documenteray as the answer as to who knocked Wittmann out and killed him , it is full of inaccuracies and false facts it's all smoke and mirrors , he has his produced it to fit in with his own interests ( selling DVD's ) and there is no actual evidence at all that the Canadians knocked out Wittmann .

He conveniently ignores the real evidence as it doesn't fit his Agenda and doesn't mention at all the eyewitness evidence from the German Troops including Wittmanns own men who were actually there at the time of the action as all those accounts show that the Tigers were taking " Anti Tank Gun fire " from the right , ie the direction where the Northants Yeomanry were and none mention fire from the left where the Canadians were supposed to be , this is of course supported by the only other real primary source evidence which is the Northants Yeo WD . If you study the German accounts it's clear that the Canadians had bigger things to worry about other than Wittmanns Panzer in particular 2 Tigers that were much closer to them .

I always present this action as a Whodunnit and have the passengers as the Court Jury actually examining the evidence that would stand up in court sufficient to get a conviction and none of what Christie does is actually evidence , even the Range of a Firefly and the distance over which Gordons Tank was firing are not correct !! The action cannot be viewed in isolation , a huge engagement was taking place involving other Units both Infantry and Armour some of whom were dug in in the fields where Wittmann was killed and saw what happened .

Martin is quite correct , whatever happened that day Wittmann made a huge tactical mistake and paid the price and no doubt the debate will run and run , but as Joe Ekins said based on the fact that until after 1983 no one on the Allied side had a clue who wittmann was anyway , " He was just another dead bloody German "

Regards

Paul
    I have to admit, i have enjoyed many of Norm's productions, especially his WW1 content

?

It's good entertainment mate but not good history !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

Forgot to mention , nice to see you have a signed photo by Joe Ekins

1st July 1916

Great photo's, l was over at this site about 2 years ago on my 2 Lincoln's tour of Normandy. The Lincolns were nowhere near Villers-bocage but we took a small detour to visit this historic action and the village itself where his Tiger's caused so much destruction. Leon.

I’m always intrigued in the almost fanatic interest in the great Bren Carrier-killer......and why there doesn’t appear to be such interest in the other German “Aces”...some of whom lasted longer, killed more tanks, served in more vehicle types, took out more proper tanks and survived the conflict.

I understand that ol’ Witters was in the iconic Tiger...and that he was probably most famous for his post D-Day activity against convoys of Brit soft skins and tanks....and he looked “cool”....and his demise remains a mystery....can I ask here, what is YOUR (open to all) reason for Wittman v Carius or Knispel or other.....

..apologies if this seems like a Thread-Hijack....that is not the intention.....

[QUOTEcan I ask here, what is YOUR (open to all) reason for Wittman v Carius or Knispel or other.....
    [/QUOTE]

Skill, daring, tenacity, and most of all - LUCK

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast